Masters graduate

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arj7, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

To be honest it is worth having 2/3 adaptations of your CV and then customising one of these for each application! If you want to attempt CCNA you should really have some profesional experience, how about passing a couple of entry level comptia certs, A+, Net+, Security+?? and then editing your CV to include future aspirations?
    Hope the job hunting is going well!
    Have you got a revised CV for us to view?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just had a quick look over the revised CV.

The personal statement isnt very good mate, revise it.

What the hell?!?! :biggrin

Ditch all of the modules\classes you have studied at uni - just wasting space. Highlight customer facing skills as they are useful in an entry level IT job.

Unless I have misread the CV, you havent worked since 2004?!?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

LOL. That made me laugh.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Seems like he went back to uni in 2004 for next 6 years. Other than that let's not hijack OP's thread.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. mrgeo82

mrgeo82 New Member

Hi mate.
    I'm currently in a similar situation where I have a MSc Networking Professional obtained part time while working as a supply teacher. Luckily i'm a fully qualified secondary school teacher and finding work is easy teaching I.C.T, currently full time at a school

It can be really frustrating when potential employers get back to you wanting more experience ideally and you never hear from them again. How can this happen when its a pre requisite for nearly all entry-level I.T jobs. Or a scenario where they would set on a kid barely left school rather than you as they feel you are way too overqualified in the rare event experience is not needed.

If this is any help, a friend of mine got around the experience part by doing freelance work for pc repair and home networking. Luckily he was living with his parents at the time and when work was dead it was a fantastic safety net.

On a positive note, after 3 years he eventually got set on, and during the interview they were impressed he had the ambition and guts to attempt being self employed. He was set on by the company, enjoys his job and the salary is steadily increasing.

Keep working hard mate and i'm sure you will get there in the end
    All the best

Certifications: BSc Honours, MSc Networking Professional
    WIP: CompTia A+ and Cisco CCNA Exp
  6. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Try and get a placement mate. That's what I did, even though they are pretty hard to get they pay off..you get to have experience in a broader spectrum with placements since it's not like your typical bog standard helpdesk job.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  7. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

hey guys apologies for not replying sooner, would love to say i got a job but i havent :(
    Yeah i know 2004 it looks bad, i was working during uni for a bit and then i kinda gave up and just stuck to uni hence the lack of work!
    As for my personal profile i dont know what to change it to, i know the one i have now is a bit of a ramble but im not really sure how i should change it what do you guys suggest?
    I been applying everywhere i dont see any light at the end of the tunnel, of all the companies i have emailed a company based in Manchester called ANS did get back to me, the guys name was Richard Gascoigne although he did not offer me a job he did give me good advice and was happy to return several emails. With all that doom and gloom its nice to know there are still some nice people out there!
    One thing I did ask him was whether if i got a qualification like a CCNA would that hamper me considering i didnt have any real work experience and he said that if anything it should aid a job application and didnt see the logic of saying it would hamper me, so that got me thinking about the CCNA again lol
    As i said how has everyone else been getting on, I hope you are having luck as well.
    As ever thanks for all your help and advice

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like Richard doesn't understand what the CCNA tests on. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should ask him whether he'd allow a CCNA without experience to administer one of his routers... if he, in fact, is a tech and not some HR clone (which would explain a lot).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Yeah Im not sure whether he would personally but I wonder if other companies would.
    I recently did the IBM aptitude test and did not meet their minimum criteria which has annoyed me because i thought I did really well.
    Does anybody know of any sort of jobs round the north west area? Im having no luck at the moment even finding a temporary IT job, im struggling to keep my head up :(

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

From everything I've seen in my IT career, they typically don't.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Hehe it's funny that since ANS gave me the same advice when I interviewed there. I don't think it was Richard though, hard to remember as it was a panel interview with the directors and the IT managers (2nd interview that is).

They offered me the job but I had to decline when my current employer threw another 5G's at me to stay (Which was my intention from the start....and some interview practise)

I still got the CCNA anyway due to the large amount of Cisco kit we have.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  12. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

guys i need your help i dont know what to do, ive been looking now for 6 months and im having no joy, im desperate to get any role I dont know what else to do :(

13. westernkings

How many interviews have you got? get your CV posted so we can take a look? if you have had interviews, how did they go, what questions did they ask, and what were your responses.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Upload your CV, it should improve your chances once people give you feedback.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  15. westernkings

Right, I have just gone through your CV and formatted it to a more acceptable level. Yours was really difficult to read;

I have left a few of my things in just because I couldn't be bothered to replace them with "examples" but the layout is exactly as I have it and I have just got ANOTHER interview for Monday, so 2 in one day :D

First thing is sort that Personal Profile out, I couldn't give a **** if you have sex, do drugs, play golf or fondle dolphins in your spare time, I want a short quick summary of what you are about, where you're going and what you're like.

Skills, Get some more skills in there, (given presentations? that should be in work experience) I want things like;

That is something necessary, I don't put "I once spoke in front of the class". I would put "Proven presentational skills" or something like that.

You get the idea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  16. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

As others have already said, major things to look at are your personal profile and your skills list. I'm going to concentrate on the skills list for a sec:

For someone with an IT masters theres not a lot of IT in there, I see ability to work with MS Office ("I'm looking for a tech not a secretary!") and a really unspecific mention of SQL experience. You should be able to give a far better account of your technical skill set based on your university studies. If your trying for entry level positions then make sure customer service skills are prominent as well.

The whole things needs to be snappier, more to the point. You have 10-15 seconds before your CV hits the round floor level filing recepticle, use them. For example:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  17. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

thanks alot for your feedback Westernkings my Cv used to look like how you have laid it out however i was tol d it looks too bland, but i hear what your saying il submit two cvs one with your format and one with the other and then I will see what you guys think are better.

Josiahb I thank you for your comments and i will take them on board il redo my cv and resubmit it, thanks for the prompt response much appreciated.

18. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

oh yeah one more thing (sound like columbo) should i just get rid of my personal profile?

19. westernkings

It looks bland?

Sorry didn't realise your average IT manager was a creative fashion god like Gok Won. He isn't going to make you look good naked, he just wants your information in a format he can find. :D

Don't get rid if your personal profile, just re do it.

20. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

ok i have looked at some of your guys feedback and come up with two cvs they are different in format but information wise they are the same, i admit my personal profile is crap i dont know what to write in there im a bit stuck on that, any help would be appreciated here are my two cvs.

Attached Files: