Manifest Parse Error?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kelly, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Hi Guys!

Please help! I think I may have destroyed my laptop!!!! :(

Tried to upgrade to XP pro last night. It got right down to Installing Windows, and then came up with this message of a Manifest Parse Error and won't go any further. Then it constantly reboots, round and round, saying the same thing. :cry:

I eventually got it to switch off, restored it and ....stupidliy, started again. :badi

This time I went for a total installation instead of upgrade....so it wiped out windows XP home Ed an....did the Manifest thing again! :roll:

Now I'm stuck with my empty shell and I have no clue what to do. :alc I've tried reinstalling Windows XP Home Ed but it's asking for a product code and the disc came with the computer and I can't find a product code for it.:unsure

Any ideas???? Now I really AM scared! :helpread

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  2. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Hello Kelly

The manifest parse error will most often result from a badly burned (copied) CD, take the disk back to where you bought it and ask for an replacement.

The Win XP license key may be on either a sticker somewhere on the machine (on a laptop usually the bottom) or on the Microsfot Windows XP booklet that says "start here" down the left edge, if you have the booklet the license key sticker may be on the back of the last page.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  3. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Thank you so much Luton Bee!!! You're a star!!!

I've got Windows XP Home Ed to load and the product code was on the bottom of my laptop...THANK YOU!!!!

The only problem I have now is; Windows dosen't fill the screen. Why would it just be part of the full screen? I don't understand that. All my built in software has gone, including Norton Anti-virus, and it won't let me connect to the net to register anything cos it's saying I only have a choice of LAN or Digital, no telephone/modem connection.....

Why did I even attempt this?!

4. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Ok...I figured the screen size thing. Resolution was wrong. So now it's full size again.....but totally blank!

I thought I'd backed up all my important built in software but my BF reckons it won't have worked due to it being built in. I have no idea if it has or not. Still haven't figured out the internet connection problem either....Talk about tearing my hair out!!!

Thanks so much for the help Luton!

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Kelly,

This sounds to me (shot in the dark) that Windows is still not quite loading as it should from CD. Did you have modem access before ?

Try running tha Add/Remove Hardware Wizard from <Start/Settings/Control Panel> to try and force Windows to detect all hardware (assuming your modem is present).

Your previous apps (Norton, etc) may still be available on the CD - have you tried browsing the disk ? Press and hold Shift wjile inserting the disk, then use Windows Explorer to look through the contents of the CD - you'll probably find the apps that came with the laptop should be on there.

Hope at least some of this helps - if not, just sing out, and we'll all look at it again.

:onthePC

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

Kelly

It sounds to me like you still need to install various drivers. Graphics and modem at least. Windows (all flavours) is always a bit short of drivers for laptops. Check in device manager. You should have a CD with the relevant drivers with your laptop. If not, you will be able to get them from the net.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  7. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Hi Jak. :scrambles

Yeah, I did have modem access before. It has nothing at the moment, (using BF's laptop at the mo). I've loaded a few things into it that I need to study, (office XP pro) but it's acting weird. :roll:

Norton was on the disc I'd copied but I'd recently upgraded it via the internet download and that's not the version on CD. Instead it's the trial you get when you first start with Norton. So I don't know how to get my paid for upgrade back. :smile-l

I also copied my DVD player onto the same disc as Norton but that dosen't work, so I can't play DVD's on it. :Worried

It's also scrolling strangly. I know that probably sounds odd, but it kind of bubbles up the screen instead of just a straight forward scroll. And, occasionally, the hard drive clunks. It's only happened twice but this really worries me. When I first got my laptop, the hard drive clunked and squeeled. I phoned HP for advice and they told me the hard drive was sticking and I ended up with a replacement laptop, (the one I have now). :blowingup

Have a seriously knacked this up? It's still under guarentee (can't spell that!) but I'm not sure HP will sort it since it's my fault. :gun

GRRRR I'm so mad at myself for trying this when I wasn't definite what I was doing!! :evil:

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Dont worry too much Kelly, most of your problems sound like missing driver software so it can be fixed.

Do you have a restore disk, I'd use that and restore the laptop back to its original state then if the harddrive keeps making this noise then you can return it. Dont forget tot back up your data.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Hi Si~for,

I do have a restore disc but it no longer works....well, I haven't tried it since loading Windows Home Edition back in, but it wasn't working last time I tried cos I'd written over everything in the partition.

I'll try it now and see what happens. I'll be back to let you know!

10. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Thank you Si!!! I have put my restore disc through and everything seems fine now. I don't know about the clunking hard drive yet, or the weird scrolling, but all my built in stuff is back...amazingly!

It also accepts the modem again. Phew!!! Thank you all so much.

Only thing now...I still want (need for my course) XP pro. Is it wise to try again? Obviously with a different disc, not the one that caused all this. What do you think? :oops:

11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Kelly

You could consider using a program called VMWARE itis a bit of software which emulates a PC on your existing operating system, you could install XP Pro as much as you like on that and not affect your existing configuration.

Go to http://www.vmware.com/ to try it out

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

You should have no probelms installing XP pro on your laptop that is if you have all the drivers for it. Now you have it back to its original config make a note of the hardware from device manager and look for the drivers on the net. Once you have all the drivers then go for the re install.

VMware that phil suggested may be a little too much for your needs, are you wanting it for the initial modules of your course? You may be able to get by with the home version if you dont have an exam to sit on it.

Just my thoughts on things.

Si :D

13. Luton Bee

As we have proved the restore disk works fine there is nothing to loose by trying the upgrade again.

14. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

oh! I'm so confused!! :blink How do I get to the device manager to make a note of the hardware and how do I know if I have all the drivers I need and what drivers do I need??????!!!!!!!! :roll:

I was told by NITLC that I would need XP pro during the stage of the course I'm in now (office XP) because of some internet thing it does. :unsure I've continued without it and things seem fine, but I don't want to suddenly get stuck cos of not having the right OS.

I don't actually know if it's for an exam or what. I just know that I'm supposed to have it now, although, the coursework seems to be going ok without it ....at the mo. :juggle

I would leave it and not bother, but then I could end up needing it desperately and holding me up! :eek:

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Bum fluff!!!! :gmorning

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  15. SimonV
    Honorary Member

If your using a restore disk then I'm guessing you dont have the driver disks as there all included in the restore image. I'd go with Luton and try the upgrade again.

This is all software stuff your doing Kelly so you wont break the laptop, whatever goes wrong with a software install can in some way be put right.

Si

16. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

I just wanted to thank you all for the advice and support you gave me during this pain in the botty of a time! :brancard

I still haven't got my laptop up and running. Although it is restored back to it's original condition. I've been doing all my work on my BF's laptop and still want to upgrade my own. :juggle

I'm gonna go for it very soon....so be prepared for any cry outs from me!! :dunce

I still only have the trial version of Norton on there tho. Has anyone any ideas how I get my paid for upgrade back, without having to pay again? :readFAQ

17. Luton Bee

Bet that's brought a smile to his face :wink:

As for the Norton problem I would presume that the Symantec UK support page would be the best place to start Kelly

18. SimonV
    Honorary Member

yeah get in touch with Symantec, if you bought it over the net they must hae a record of your activation etc.

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's start with device manager. Click the start button -> Click Control Panel -> Find the Systems icon and double click it -> You'll see a number of tabs. Click the Hardware tab -> Click the Device Manager button. Bingo, you're in device manager.

XP should include most or all of the drivers for common devices. If you're talking about let's say, you fax/modem, when you open up device manager, if it's malfunctioning, there should be an exclamation point in yellow. Click on the plus sign for the modem and double click the modem name. A box with a number of tabs opens. You should see a status message saying how the device is doing "This device is working properly" in my case. There's a tab for Driver. Click it. You can click on Driver details and also on Update driver. You can update the driver from the XP disk or from the internet. You also have the option of Roll Back Driver in case you update the driver and the device stops working afterwards.

Usually, when you do an upgrade like this, Windows plug and play (or plug and pray, in this case) automatically detects your devices and loads the appropriate drivers. If you get a properly working CD of XP Pro, you should have a fairly routine time upgrading your OS.

As far as your anti-virus situation, I agree with the consensus. Contact Symantic's tech support and let them know what the deal is. They should be able to help out.

Now....you hosed your boyfriend's laptop? How's he taking it? Sorry if the statement seems indelicate, but I was trying to imagine how I'd feel under similar circumstances. My wife and I have been married (yes, to each other) for 21 years and I still get a little nervous if she does anything on one of the computers beyond using an application or two. Probably a "guy thing". :)

Keep us informed as to your progress on the upgrade. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+