Managing XP in a W2K Server Environment

Discussion in 'Networks' started by SimonV, Oct 19, 2004.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Up until today we have had a pure windows 2000 network in the school(well with a few W98's thrown in for good luck). We this morning received some new PCs that will be added to the network this week that have XP as the OS.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has any recommendations from their experiences that may help me integrate these new PC's onto our network. I think the main thing I'm after is help with the extra group policies that can be applied to XP and how to go about this. Any other tips and advice would be great also.

Si. :biggrin

Edit: found this but wont get chance to read until end of day.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Si

We are running a mixed environment of W2K and XP Pro. We haven't changed the Group policy settings for the network because we will be changing all of our clients to XP at some point and changing to Server 2003. However the RSOP is very good running on an XP pc and also the remote desktop. Make sure that is enabled on the clients.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

That wont be happening here for some time so having control of the extra 212 new policy settings for Windows XP will have to be done through our W2K servers. :(

I got a break in my schedule so read through the above link and went ahead and updated the XP's GPO with the newer .adm files. The only problem I had was an error message "The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been truncated" that had to be confirmed about 100 times. I found a fix though here.

Applied the fix and that cured things. :biggrin

Still if anyone has any tips or advice please post.

Si

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yea we had that problem when I installed sp2 on my workstation and then used ADU&C. I could access it but no-one else could.

Posted it here http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread2655.html

Bit of a shock for the Network Manager not being able to fire up the Users and Computers snap-in

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

The only thinks you need to find out Si are the settings you want for the firewall in respect of 3rd party apps and any management tools in use. The GPO files are downloadable form MS anbd are easy to install on servers /and or workstations. You can also get a new tool for XP called "Group policy management" that makes troubleshooting settings a lot easier. I would suggest you start your research at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816662

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Nice link, thanks Luton.

Yeah, have been using this on my Laptop as that was the only XP machine on the network until now. VERY VERY handy mmc snapin and would highly recommned it. :biggrin

Cheers.