Managing Hyper-V remotely?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by garyb, Jul 13, 2010.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    I have installed Hyper-V 2008 on a Dell T610 server, does anyone know of any way to manage this remotely so I can create VMs, backup VMs etc? I understand this cannot be done using XP so I have brought my Windows 7 Home Premium machine in to see if it will work.

From MS page http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en it states to run Hyper-V manager console I will need to buy Win 7 Professional or Enterprise versions! Don't have 2008 OS at this branch and we bypassed Vista completely.

Any advice appreciated?

Thanks

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...v/thread/20a7ef0e-07a5-4171-941d-6e54ce8637c0

Hope that helps. If not then sorry

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

RSAT or VMM 2008r2 to be honest. If it's not the core version of the OS then you could always just use RDP but if it's the core version of the OS you can still use RDP and use something like CoreConfig. It's fairly rudimentary but it's good for the basics.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Thanks for the links,
    I have tried Hyper-V Management Console but you cannot create VMs with that at present, its a shame because that looks OK. SCVMM 2008 Administrator Console also looks good but states only installed on 2008 server and I can locate prices fro that either, quite odd!

Perhaps I should have looked at this before starting, if it can t be done I will have to revert to ESXi maybe.

Cheers again.

5. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Thanks Simon, yes it is the core version no OS as such. I can RDP into the server but I am just left with the usual Hyper-V blue command screen to manage Server name / IP etc etc. Would I need to install CoreConfig on the actual Hyper-V server, then somehow run it from there via RDP from XP?

EDIT** Thanks for the tip I have installed CoreConfig on Hyper_V server, all it offers is to start or stop VMs, I was hoping to find a tool to enable me to create VMs, allow me to configure them to boot from ISOs etc.

regards

Gary

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Download the files, extract them to a folder (on my box it's C:\CoreConfig) and then run "start_coreconfig"

With regards to the RSAT and the Hyper-V manager role, you can create and manage Hyper-V's from it without any issues, where you would have problems is with templates (which is more VMM).

You will need to use Win 7 Ent\Pro or Ult to run RSAT then, it really will allow you to manage Hyper-V (I have it on my desktop at the moment and am managing 10 machines with it).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Thanks Simon, I think my decision has come down to buy retail Win7 Pro or switch to ESXi from hyper-V. None of the above will work with Vista Home I guess, I have 2 retails of that never been used?

Regards

Gary