manager bullies at work

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by salv236, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with the others; this is not bullying. As you progress in your job and develop more skills, you should be able to increase your workload. It's all about providing value for the employer.

Now, I'm not saying that it's impossible that you are indeed overworked... you very well may be. But even if you are, this is not considered "bullying". Do you have any different examples of how they bully you?

Just like with any job, if you don't like the terms of employment, discuss the situation with your manager, and if you are not comfortable with the resolution, start looking for another job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I want to offer up something that happened to me when I worked for a large American Investment bank based out of Luxembourg.

The IT Manager was a Belgian whose idea of management was to shout and scream at people till he was red in the face, the fact that he delivered on his role (service delivery manager) meant that crying to HR (or indeed punching his lights out) was viewed with disdain. As such (and being a brit working on a different country) it was deemed that it would be better for me to work out of a different office (they currently had 3 at the time in Luxembourg). I stayed with them for 18 months working like that.

A year or so later I went back to Luxembourg to see my girlfriend (who became my fiance and now wife), at the time I bumped into the same manager who by now had calmed down considerably, his management style had changed so much so that he was a different style of manager (he laughed and joked where before he would scream and shout). He offered me my old position back at the bank (I was and still am a contractor) and I readily took it on. He was a pleasure to work with the second time around and I now realise that the view of work and management styles over in Belgium\France and Germany etc are different from what we expect in the UK.

An increase in workload isn't deemed as bullying, it's just par for the course (I should explain that I am currently implementing a Data Protection Manager solution, Configuration Manager 2007 (OS, App and Update deployments as well as Asset Reporting), Unified Access Gateway solution (OWA and DirectAccess) and am brokering a Virtualisation and Shared Storage project (Multi Vendor\Reseller and I am the only person really liaising with everyone). All the while I am spending 3 - 4 hours a day driving to the job. If you don't like the increase in work then either move on or tell them you can't handle it (but becareful with that one, it can bite you in the arse).

One last thing, you mentioned you were considering contracting, you need to be really thick skinned to do that and trust me the workloads increase with you being a contractor because they want their blood from you.

Only you can really tell if you're being bullied or whether you just have had enough of the job and are really just looking for a reason to move on.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

@ OP - One question you need to ask (sorry if you already have, I might have missed it) is - are you being singled out for different treatment when compared to others in the company?

If not, then your manager isn't a bully, he's just an @55hole.

Another question you need to ask is - are you the sort of person who requires a little 'extra motivation' to get things done?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Len

Len Byte Poster

Hi

I am currently going through procedures to sort bullying out at the workplace out the moment. Its been happening for a few months now and I've tried to sort it out multiple times just by confronting the staff member in question.

One thing I'd say though is don't lower yourself. Don't make the mistake I did by bottling it up or and reacting(I did this on Monday). Speak to someone if you can (a doctor, friend or family member) if its causing you a lot of stress (which I'm imagine it is)

Also keep logging each incident, get times, dates and quotes if you can. I've been doing this and I have a large amount of evidence including doctors reports and notes which I will be presenting to my CEO next week.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+