Magazine recommendations

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Jun 24, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm not really up on PC magazines, so after recommendations.

Ideally something to do with Windows and Linux, and isn't directed at general user's or full of free software you'll never use.

I was thinking about Windows Net magazine, but not sure if that's available here :?:

Then again that wouldn't include linux stuff anyway, at least I don't think so.

What would you recommend :idea:

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

A lot of mags will hand out free subscriptions if you work in the field and have any responsibility for buying IT stuff, you fill out a questionare and not only get your subscriptoin free...you get "invited" to get free subs for a ton of mags. I get eWeek, InfoWorld, NetworkWorld, and a bunch of others. I get so many that I hardly have time to read them all. I get them because they're a great resource for what's going on in new technology. Linux is an exception. You have to pay for them. Either Linux Magazine or Linux Journal are good. There's a UK Linux publication but I can't remember the name. I'm posting a link but I don't know if these cover your side of the pond. link.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

My preferred general PC mag is PC Pro, they usually have a good mix of reviews, articles and advice on a wide range of subjects including an enterprise section, I especially like the Real World Computing sections. You can usually get free subs to computing or computer weekly which are industry news rather than OS oriented.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

my off the shelf one is PCW (Personal Computer World), but I dont buy it since i realised i find out most of the stuff before i read the magazine (can you say 'internet')
    Trade mags I get tons of like trip, dont have time to read em all lol

you might try reading sites like zdnet and slashdot frequantly, most everything you see in a mag will likely be covered there first

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ive got PC Pro at the moment on subscription, i find its quite good (even if some of its above my head just now). ive got a dvd susbscription trial offer at the moment at £1 for three issues, then a reduced cost for the next year!

Fergal

ive tried a few linux mags myself, cant remember the name of the one i preferred!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

PC Pro for me. Very, very usefull.

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Bought this the other day in town.
    PC Pro that is.

I've been readin it at work today (make's a nice change from the star (I borrow it, I don't buy it myself before you start lol:p ))

Interesting articles.Today I read one about future proofing, something that interest's me a lot.So I knew it was a good mag when it had articles on thing's that matter.

Thanks for the recommendation:D

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I currently subscribe to Computer Shopper, recently cancelled my sub to Personal Computer World, but will still receive copies until May 2005, as a took an offer out.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I subscribed to Computer Shopper a while back.I bought my laptop based on their recommendation.I got a letter the other day about Multivision computers warranties not being valid or something because the companies gone bust.My warranties run out anyway, so not too fussed.

I don't trust Computer Shopper much anymore, to be honest.I know it's not exactly their fault, but I pay for good advice, which this obviously wasn't.
    I'm just glad I didnt pay for a five year warranty.
    And most people here know the problems I've had with my 1 year old laptop.

I just read that PC Pro have a subscription offer where you save near 45% if you sign up for so many months.
    And if you decide to cancel within that time, they give you your money back for how many issues your owed.

That shows to me that they know they have a good magazine, so why should they need to worry.

Now that's a way to treat your customers, good stuff:D

I'll be subscribing for sure.