Made redundant, need a job asap

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by whirrel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have been level 1 in my current job for 2 years 8 months, with repeated promises of promotion to come one day but of course this is all just morale boosters to keep us happy, with what looks like no intention of ever moving up.

Since working here, I have found others that have had periods of 5 years with no promotion... I do not want to be one of them.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. whirrel

whirrel Bit Poster

Some good points Coupe2T. I just feel that to get MS certs I would need some hands on experience with Windows Server OSs, AD, Exchange etc, which I have none of here.

Shadowwebs thats exactly what I'm worried about, there is also a chap here thats only just got to level 2 after 5 years.

I'm still going to have a good think throughout the next few days whilst seeing what other roles are out there.

I welcome anymore feedback

Edit. Also another strange thing, I was speaking to the 1st liner whom has been here 18 months and expects to transition in another 18. And she is on a lower salary than me.....
    I can only think this might be down to my technical background and determination to progress rapidly I put across in the interview........

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My brother is a Tivoli consultant and is finding the uptake in Tivoli is slowing down (infact his last place is in the process of decommissioning Tivoli across the estate and moving to System Center instead).

Now not meaning to be harsh here but 18 - 24 months to progress between level 1 and level 2 actually isn't bad, be fair if you progress every 18 months where do you expect to be in 5 years? Also as you so rightly said there are other considerations to take into account, I know some cracking 1\2nd line engineers but they just don't have that spark to make it as a 3rd line engineer but when I do see that spark I try and progress it on, if you're smart enough and have the desire to go further in your company then that will be recognised and 'should' be actioned on, especially if they want to keep you employed.

If I were you and knowing you're not too far from Xmas I would stick with the role until at least April next year, the last thing you want to do is find yourself out of work over the Xmas period (and having experienced it a couple of times now I know what it's like).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Until my current role I'd not been anywhere that used Tivoli, however in current job (not that I'm directly involved in supporting stuff anymore) it's used almost everywhere it can be and more! It's a reasonably sought after skill here.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

You will need some hands on, but to do the lower level MS Certs I would suggest you could get most of it out of the various vm applications at home. As long as you are working within IT, and GENUINELY learn and practice the skills then in my opinion it's fine to go on a CV as a skill, just as long as you are honest.

I'm not talking about doing MCSE etc though, just maybe MCITP, which many people do at home without any experience, but obviously means a lot more with some real world IT Experience!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  6. whirrel

whirrel Bit Poster

Valid point about transition time, i'm just concerned that when I have the ability to move to Level 2 they will delay it dramatically. But if I get some MS Certs in the meantime, I would have a bit more to fall back on if I need to leave my current role.

Do you think I should get my N+ first? Which variation of MCITP do you guys recommend?

7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Honestly? Personally I wouldn't, it would be better (if still far from ideal without working experience using the technology) to stick to 'one off' MCTS exams. At least that way you can study pretty much whichever MS technology that interests you, without 'unbalancing' your CV with professional qualifications that have no experience to back them up.

HTH.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said I would stick with the job for a while and get a few MS certs to get started.

Don’t listen to the “in 18 months you will be level 2” nonsense – it doesn’t work that way. There needs to be a position available at the right time and you need to be the best candidate – almost impossible to predict that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs