Lunch Break

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Mr.Cheeks, Feb 14, 2007.

?

How do you maximise your time during lunch

1. Only Eat when i get time - well busy!

20.4%
  2. Eat and work at the same time

34.7%
  3. Go around the shops just to kill time

10.2%
  4. Just have enough time to eat

10.2%
  5. Read a book

14.3%
  6. Play Games

10.2%
  7. Surf the net

26.5%
  8. Browse CF

22.4%
  9. Sleep

12.2%
  10. Just chat

14.3%
  11. Relax quietly - Hang Do Not Disturb sign

4.1%
  12. Other

16.3%
  1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

We get one whole hour for our lunch break, thats 60 mins.... geez is that a long time... :rolleyes:

Normally, one hour wouldn't bother me, as i'll munch, chill, and start work again which is like 20mins in my break, however, my new job, it's rather strict.

Whilst on your break, you have to be in the break area or unless your going out (not by your desk), although they have tv, vending machines, free drinks (tea, coffee, hot chocolate), hell they even got a free phone booth (no international/premium numbers) and a free bus service to and from the city centre.

You can work through your break, but you wont get paid extra nor will it be added into your time for hours done for the week...

Question is, i see a lot of people just chatting shite, but what do you do to help *kill* time (in this weather, not summer)...

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I eat and work, not always at my desk as its discouraged, but often we will conincide lunch with a team meeting (we all tend to grab lunch together) and go over whats in the pipeline, whats on the back burner etc, any progress or issues to be highlighted for the afternoon
    helps kill the time, as soon as were done eating we go back to our desk

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Alla that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sometime I don't even have a lunch break when we have alot on, when that's the case I just take the time off a tthe end of the day :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I eat and work at my desk at the same time. No rules against it and it gives me an hour to kill either going for a walk to see actual sunlight or run errands.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

We get half an hour for lunch and most times I work while eating.

But if an emergency comes in from the help desk, then I have to
    Eat & Go!:biggrin

Too busy!

Wow you have an whole hour, Hmm I wish I had an hour time to relax, and enjoy my food8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

The school stops for lunh and so do we. Normally eat at my desk and either urf CF/net or more likely someone starts off a half-life level and we waste the whole hour doing that (oh and I'm C**p at it). :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. BosonMichael

AAAAAH!!!! The light!!! It burnsssssss!

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not had a full lunch break in years, hee hee! :biggrin

Either eat lunch at my desk or fo out and buy some coffee with my workmates and still talk about work!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, it feels good. It's around 40 degrees F when I go for walks at midday which in Idaho means "sweater weather". I'm stuck inside most of the day staring at a computer monitor so it feels good to look into the distance and see the sun, sky, and clouds. It restores some balance to my day and I feel better when returning to my cube.

BTW...my "job interview" is tomorrow. I'm hoping it's a formality and that I'm going to be hired but you never can tell. Wish me luck.

11. BosonMichael

I'm weird... when I work, I'm on the computer... when I'm having fun, I'm on the computer. :D

Best of luck!

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I would love a full lunch break! :dry

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I get an hour's lunch. It varies how I spend it, normally I would walk or cycle to Greggs (weather dependent) to get me usual steak and chicken bakes (SGUK u will know more about this :biggrin) and bottle of coke...when I have no money its normally homemade pasta (by yours truly :biggrin) and I normally just at my desk surfing the likes of CF, Smallville, Superman, DC Comics and Empire sites...all good fun :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm meant to have an hour.

Me posting this, this is my lunch break.

Catch you all later!!!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I take a li'l break ere and there but if I'm routing around under desks I tend to take a late lunch, since all the gluttons that sit at the desks under which I may be working tend to have more prominent flatulence after a lunchbreak.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't eat at lunchtime or stop for a lunch break, haven't done for the last 15 years.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

I get time to squeeze in a stroll (ten mins to get home), food and tv! :biggrin

Often find myself bored and wishing work would let me work through my lunch hour and finish early instead when I wanted to. Sometimes I get away with it, but rarely!

Certifications: ECDL BCS1, NCFE Networking Essentials
    WIP: HNC in Computing
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Where I work (and thankfully, I'm not a software engineer or this wouldn't apply) it's "do your eight and hit the gate". I can set my own hours (as long as I show up for meetings) and get out when I want to. :D

19. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

lol! he'a a machine!

20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What's lunch??:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685