LPI Linux Cert

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by highland_lad, Jun 27, 2007.

1. highland_lad

highland_lad New Member

Hi,

I have been using linux for about 2 years now in a work environment and about 6 years on my own so I was looking into getting a few certs under my belt.

I was thinking about going for LPI certs and have done a bit of googling for some sort of self-study guide. I came across these 2 sites

LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell

http://www.happy-monkey.net/LPI/

Are any of these still relevant to the current exam? Can anyone recommend a book to buy for studying ?

Any advice would be great :D

2. Robster

Robster New Member

The book you referenced on Amazon is only a year old so I would have thought it would be fine. From what I know the underlying workings of Linux don't change very quickly anyway.

I had been looking into doing a certification myself and came across this training provider who do LPI 101, 102, 201, 202 as a series of week long full time courses:
    http://www.mewe.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=26&Itemid=46

If you are already quite experienced with Linux maybe this is not so suitable.

EDIT: Also maybe you could contact the LPI and see if they have past papers you can get hold of.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yes, at least visiting the site of the organization that administers these exams (there are three separate certs) would be a good idea. Here's the link:

http://www.lpi.org/en/lpi/english

How much do you know about administering Linux at the moment? If you know little, then you've got a lot of studying to do. Of course, you'll want at least one Linux machine around (either Debian-based or Red Hat-based) to practice on.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have the O'Rielly book you referenced, and I have to say it's a pretty good book. Exactly how much of the exam it covers I can't say, but for me there is a lot of stuff in their I don't know yet. If the exam covers the same content the book does you have to know all the syntax for almost all existing *nix tools. For tools such as vi and emacs you need to know them inside and out. You could be asked what any of the key combinations do what in either editor.

This is not an easy certification to pass. I haven't worked on seriously, yet, but there is a lot of memorization work to do and knowing the appropriate text-based tool to use for any job. So, since memorization doesn't come so easy for me anymore I have decided to take this cert very slow and just attain that level of comfort by continuing to use the bash prompt at every opportunity. Besides all the tools you have to know how to configure every aspect of DNS, DHCP, SSH, NIS, NFS, email servers, web servers, etc... by heart. You'll need to thoroughly know the ins and outs of all the text configurations for all these types of servers. You'll also need to know all aspects of building programs from source, and either Debian's and RedHat's package management tools by heart.

This test is NOT on the same level as a MS cert. It's far, far more difficult. The book doesn't have everything you'll need to know in it. In some areas it just says, you need to know about this subject(such as Apache) and basically leaves it at that. So, you need a lot of hands-on experience with each of the servers, and know the basics of securing them too.

I can see why they did this with the book too. My DHCP Handbook is several hundred pages long, as well as are my books on Apache, Apache security, Exim, DNS and Bind, etc... They just simply couldn't fit everything in an exam prep book, it would end up having 10,000 pages.

So, just be prepared for the exam by having a solid foundation in.... everything!

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1