Low Battery on a PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Dec 2, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I download the latest virus definitions onto my laptop over the high speed link at work then copy them to two of my PCs here at home. This morning, I pulled my Dell Dimension 8300 out of standby and almost didn't notice the "low battery" warning that came on. It invited me to hit F2 to enter the set up or F1 to continue. I hit F2 but didn't see anything particularly obvious or related to a low battery.

I checked the power connection and resumed normal operation. Everything seems fine and heck...the thing doesn't even have a battery. It's only a few months old so I can't imagine its the CMOS battery (it better not be or Dell's gonna hear about it) and the only other thing that uses batteries are my wireless keyboard and mouse. I can buy that their batteries might be getting low, but do they communicate with the main set up on the PC...especially enough to give that kind of warning???

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

From the point in the boot sequence that it came up I'd say it was the cmos battery giving you the warning. Might be worth a call to Dell.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the computer when the warning came up so I turned it off, walked away for a few minutes, then came back and turned it on. Powered up normally...no warning of any kind. If it's the CMOS battery, am I only going to get a warning once? I'd like to be able to replicate the warning so I can describe it more exactly to a Dell tech on the phone. Also, is there a way to test the CMOS battery?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I had a low battery warning last night on my self built machine, Weird.....

Mine was caused by trying to boot from a ghost floppy and the thing just hung so i restarted and the damn thing had knackered my BIOS, had to move the jumper to clear/reset the BIOS then go into CMOS and re apply all my settings.

BUMMER......Did'nt loose any information/data, just was a pain in the arse

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346