Lotus Domino Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I used his ID file but it prompted me for a password when connecting to the domino server. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I guess you don't know or have no way of finding out his password? If not then there is software available for recovering passwords for LN here. They are pricey and I can't vouch for how effective they are.
    Also, you need admin access to Domino in order to perform the migration to exchange (ouch!:blink ).

Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be able to get in contact with the guy who used to support the network. Fingers crossed!

This is the first time I have had to look at a Domino server, the last time I supported Notes it was purely a desktop support role I had so the notesIDs were emailed to me and then I could setup the users.

How did you find using domino? I basically need to get some daily admin procedures documented. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

When I first joined the company they gave me the task of looking after the email system ('cos no-one else wanted to do it) . The administrator system is pretty good and not too dissimilar in appearance to notes itself, and is quite easy to get to grips with.
    The problem i had was that it had been tinkered with (to within an inch of its life) by a previous employee. On a regular basis the server would fall over due to database corruption and create the notes.rip file, and running a fixup on the knackered database would only cure it for a short while . There were dozens of "test" databases that had been set up (i.e. temp.nsf, testy1.nsf etc) and were no longer used, and pieces of lotusscript running on databases that nobody new the purpose of.
    Thankfully we got the budget to migrate over to exchange and it was relatively simple to do, although we are a small company (60 users). The main issue i had was the IT manager not allowing me enough time to fully test the exchange system before migrating all 60 users over at once and switching off the Domino server.

HTH
    NB:)

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA