Losing a BIOS setting?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Baba O'Riley, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi peeps,

OK, I'm a bit stumped here. I flashed my BIOS yesterday, everything seemingly went OK.

Now, a couple of times I've started up - not everytime mind you - I've had the "No System Disk inserted..." message. The first assumption was that I'd left something in a drive, but on closer inspection, I've found that my hard drive had just disappeared from the BIOS boot priority list!

All other settings were there, clock time was OK, the HDD was being detected OK, just that one setting. So far it's only happened twice so I'm going to monitor this closely.

Of course a good suspect is the BIOS update itself. If it comes to it and I reset the BIOS with the jumpers, will that reset the BIOS to the original version or will I need to try and download the old version again?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers! :D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Usualy using the jumpers to 'reset the BIOS' will remove all the *data* from the CMOS. But the actual BIOS code you flashed will be untouched.

If you need to go back to the previous version why not use the saved file that you *should* have made when you did the flash? :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Baba O'Riley

Actually Harry, I'm beginning to think it's a connection problem. It just happened again so I opened her up and checked all the HDD connections and the CMOS battery and when I started it up it booted fine without me putting the drive back on the boot list in the BIOS. However, while I was in the BIOS I decided to tweak a couple of settings which involved me rebooting a coulple of times and after about three times of it working fine, I got the "no system disk" message again.

Hmm...

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - see if there is a delay value that can be set before talking to the IDE drives. Sometimes the BIOS is too quick and the drives are not ready to be talked to.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Baba O'Riley

I haven't seen one but I'll take a look next time I reboot. Cheers.

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I have this problem on an old PC running Linux and I don't think it's a BIOS problem but a connection problem with your IDE cables. I would try changing the cable first before reflashing your BIOS.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Baba O'Riley

Interesting, even though the hard drive is still being detected, just dropping off the boot list? It's actually a S-ATA drive, and I do have a spare cable so if it happens again (figers crossed it doesn't), I'll try swapping them over.

Cheers.

8. law123

law123 Byte Poster

If it is a SATA drive it just might be the BIOS is it set for to read from SATA? I do remember my old MOBO's BIOS needing set to auto.
    I hope this helps Baba

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  9. Baba O'Riley

No, all other BIOS settngs are fine, thanks for the help though. Anyway, touch wood, it hasn't happened for a few days now so, like so many PC problems, it seems to have righted itself without me really having any idea what was causing it.