losers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by _omni_, Oct 18, 2005.

1. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i study with a training provider that not only condones but encourages the use of braindumps, which totally pisses me off. theres a "lab" which i never use because its too noisy, but on every computer there there are copies of test king, and thats all anyone ever does on those machines, just studies those questions. during class they will suggest certain braindump sites to use.
    one of the guys goes there every day and "studies" the test king files all day long. he's being doing that for a few months, and should be taking two exams soon, the 70-270 and the 70-290. i decided to ask him a simple question to see what he knew so i did an ipconfig on a pc and saw it had a 169.254.x.x IP. i showed it to him and asked what he could tell me from looking at that address and he was like blank. if all he knows is the answers from TK then i sincerely hope he fails.
    also i do all the hard work of actually studying while those losers will get qualified without ever knowing anything. all he will know is the questions from TK. put a twist on the questions and he'll be lost.
    i'm just a bit pissed right now.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I know how you feel mate.

Why put all the effort in to learning the material when you can simply look at the answers to the tests?

I'll tell you why, because when that guy gets a job he'll be so far in over his head that the truth will come out that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing and will be dismissed, or (which will make him look even stupider) he will have to ask someone for help!

Take pride in the fact that you are trying to learn the material, not just pass an exam.

8)

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the problem ofcourse there simon, is that it lowers the tone of the MCSE in general, which is why its a requirement for a helpdesk job, its considered basic because people with it cant tell you what a 169 address means :)

bring on the MCA Program :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

isnt MS doing something about that by introducing sims into the exams? from 290 onwards right?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

shop the b@stards to Microsoft, CompTIA et al...
    If they claim Institute of IT Training membership, shop 'em to that lot too.. Shop 'em to VUE and Prometric.. hell, shop 'em to the Vatican!

Everything you've said is true... what we don't need is braindumpers lowering the value of these certs. That hits us all in the wallet.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

in fact the teacher told us that to go on with the course after passing the 270 and 290, we will be given a test of their own, an easy one but they said they had a problem of people passing the exams, then going on to the next classes but not understanding anything because they didnt know shite in the first place. so they'd slow everyone down.
    so they acknowledge the problem but continue to feed it. wonderful.

7. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i reported them to microsoft as they are a gold partner.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

This is one the most encouraging and rewarding posts I have read on here for a while - thanks for posting, omni.

My 2€.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. jackbauer

jackbauer Bit Poster

yeah i did not know about those braindumpers, i mean take a look at the ccna exam, somebody came into my workplace with a CCNA cert and when i asked him a simple question about the the igrp configuration he did not know it, i mean i knew it and i didnt even have the cert. i spent ages learning all those commands and you get people who have it and dont know half of what i learnt. its all just one big scam.

thanks omni

Certifications: NVQ3 for IT Professionals.
    WIP: ITP, N+, Security +, CCNA, MCP
  10. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

When I took my first CCNA attempt I emailed the testcentre beforehand to enquire about writing notes before the exam started. I got a reply saying that it would be OK and warming me that the CCNA exam is very very hard. They advised me to go to Test King and another braindump site- this was the prometric testing centre! I won't be taking any of their courses in a hurry. When I failed the exam by 5/1000 the guy who gave me my printout told me I should rebook for a week's time and 'study' test king all week…..

Second time round I used a different testing centre, this was a completely different experience- there was a sign on the wall with points on how to be a good test taker, the facilities looked good as well there was a rack with routers/switches and a few servers. Lots of books on sale for all the different certs, I could tell it was a well facilitated and good training centre. When I arrived the guy said he'd take me through straight away even though I was early. I said I'd like to read over my cramsheet one last time before going in and he said 'no don't do that, you'll just confuse your brain, if you're ready to take the exam you're ready to take the exam- read whatever you like by all means but my advice to you is to go in and sit it.'

I did and passed, on the way out I took the brochure for the training classes and will probably do any future courses there.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  11. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

This is why I was never that bothered to get certified until recently.

At my previous job a lad started who was MCSE certified so the boss sat him down and said "Right get on with it". After an hour he asks me "How do I map a network drive?".

So now I know why as he just, like you have all said, taught himself to pass an exam, but couldn't actually physically do anything.

BTW he lost his job after a month so don't feel too bad. They will spend all their money, pass and then made to look stupid when they enter the real IT world.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  12. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

good on ya! It's sickening when one puts their heart and soul into something, expecting to get real value from it, and others just take the mickey..

I just hope they get technically tested at interview, but even then there's a drawback as folks assume ALL MCSE's are equally crap... *sigh* ah well.. you took action.. thats a start..

13. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

but they also drag down the salaries of others as the certs get devalued.

Now if only we had decent simulation questions..

something MS are planning to introduce with 2003 I believe..

14. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Then I guess we can all hazard a guess who it may be..

I Can See here a list of Microsoft partners...
    and if its who I think it is.. good riddance to them

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Steady now Guys - go easy ....:)

16. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

actually they are not on that list...i dont know if i should provide their url?

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Can you PM me about it, omni ? Obviously there could easily be legal implications for the site here, so I would rather check it our first. Thanks :)

18. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

It would be interesting to know if the company has a policy on their students using or supplying Braindump material. Esp considering it is illegal and more than often wrong.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good onya omni. [​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  20. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

right. so i went back today for my class, and saw this guy again.

he has passed the 270 and the 290. he has already failed the internal exam twice, and will have another go at it tomorrow.

the internal exam consists of creating a few users, sharing a couple folders, and assigning those users permissions on those folders.

so i spent 2 hours after class teaching him about share/ntfs permissions, as he hadn't the slightest clue about how share/ntfs permissions work.
    i also taught him about APIPA, how to relocate the pagefile, what a UNC path is, and what certain fundamental utilities are used for.

this is the guy who told me at the beginning that "my way of studying (using *TK*s) is better than yours".

we both started studying at the same time. the difference is that i studied books and practiced on my lab, he studied TK.

well class was good, but i hear the students saying things like "i would never dream of doing the exams without TK" and "transcender is crap, TK is way better, they give you the real questions so when you take the exam you just go blip blip blip and you're done".

they also seem to hate the simulations, which i found extremely easy. i guess that's because you actually have to KNOW how to do things rather than trying to remember if TK said the answer to this question was A, B, C, or D.