Looking to study Exam 70-290 SERVER 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jay06, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jay06

jay06 New Member

Hi guys,

I work for a company that uses windows server 2003 enviroment, I wan't to get qualified however upon reading I noticed that it says in order to study this course you must have a CompTIA A+/Network. Can I just go straight in and study for 290 as it will cost way more money to do the COmpTIA courses. I do have good knowledge of windows.

I just want to know if I can study without having to pass those prerequisites?

Are the fast track courses e.g. 4/5 days courses good?

Thanks Guys

2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Where did you see that info? It is recommended to have A+ / Network+ or equivalent knowledge. If you have that knowledge you can go directly to study for 290. In fact, even if you do not have the required knowledge, you can go for it, allthough it might be a lot more difficult. Microsoft does not check if you actually have these certs.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. jay06

jay06 New Member

thanks for the reply tinus,
    well i was searching for the course on loads of website including microsofts own and under the prerequisites they all said must have compTIA A+/network. i had a slight feeling I could do without.

Cheers

4. RichGK

RichGK Bit Poster

Hi,

If you want to find out if you are already prepared to take the exam it might be worth getting the official 70-290 course book and having a read. You'll soon know whether you are ready! The book is a handy reference anyway even for experienced administrators so worth having for how much it costs.

In my opinion the expensive 5 day courses are not worth it. If you are good enough that a 5 day course will give you the required knowledge to pass, then you can probably do it on your own for a fraction of the cost (the book, test exam program and the exam itself).

Certifications: Dip Comp (Open)
    WIP: MCITP
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

A short course would be more useful if you already knew the subject well in the first place. Otherwise, it's unlikely to sink in over a short period if it's all new to you.

Depends on what you want to get out of this, an MCP or gain the knowledge to help you do your job better. It may even be both. Rushing it would be a bad idea in my opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada