Looking to do some certs, where would be good to start?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Whizzkid, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Whizzkid

Whizzkid New Member

Hi all, new member here.

I'm looking to do some certs and I thought I would start off basic. I thought maybe pick up an MTA, i'm looking to get into first line support ideally.

Another question I have is are there any basic certs that dont expire? seems a bit pointless to keep taking them if you go above that level

Cheers

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Start out with something like the Comptia A+ or N+ exams, yes they expire after 3 years but unfortunately technology doesn't stand still.

As far as expiration of certs is concerned, if you go past that skill requirement why worry about whether the cert is current or not? Sure I have an MCSE in NT4 but the chances of me actually using NT4 these days is practically 0 whereas my MCITP in 2008 is current (one of the reasons I didn't renew my CCNA was because I wasn't using the technology, if you're not using it why have it?).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Basic certs should ideally not expire, O-levels, GCSE's, A-levels, BTECs, Degrees, Masters, Phd's don't expire.

Many fundamental things change very little in 3 years, computers are still based on principles founded by Alan Turing, John von Neumann and others 60+ years ago.

Much of the windows kernel and API in reality hasn't changed that much since Win2k.

The reality is doing 'maintenance' or re-certification on entry level certifications is pretty pointless.

MCSE and CCNA are not entry level certifications so they are not in the same ballpark, thereby making such comparisons invalid. However I would still expect significant use of some aspects of these certifications even after 3 years, IPv4 lasted for ~30 years and is still useful knowledge today even with IPv6.

Its just a money making racket which in no way is likely to improve the industry or the prospects of the individuals involved.

I don't know what the MTA is like but yes I'd consider MTA or Cisco Essentials and worry less about pieces of paper and more about skills and knowledge.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. Whizzkid

Whizzkid New Member

Cheers for the reply. :)

5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Some good comments there I would also take a look at ITIL.

Certifications: A few.