Looking for new Job, but what to learn?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jstorm, Feb 19, 2008.

1. jstorm

jstorm New Member

Hi all,

This is my first post on here so please be kind :).

I have been working for myself for the last couple of years here in Australia and I have decided I want to go back and work for someone else full time (sick of the stress and all that with running your own business).

I use to be a Network Administrator for a company here in Australia but in my whole time I never actually got certified in a praticular field (I regret that). Anyway I am a member of the Australian Computer society (IT professional body here in Australia) what I was excepted into as of my experiacne in the IT industry. I feel that to get the job I would like it would be best for me to get a qualification under my belt and then move on from that.

I plan on doing more studies through the Australian Computer society but in the short term I am looking at doing a MCP or prehaps a Netwrok + qualification. I think short term that either a MCP or a CompTIA cert might help me short term for work that I would like.

The work I would like would be a Network Adminstrator/Server Admin so courses would be along these lines. I have plenty of experance I just need the paper work in short!

Could you please suggest what might be the best course (MCP or compTIA) that I should look at doing first? I was think prehaps 1 of the MCP Server courses, but I know there is the new MS server coming out very soon and feel I would be better of waiting to do it on the latest version. Any help and feed back will be much appriciated.

Cheers....

Jonathan.

2. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

The path that's highly recommended on the forums goes like this:

A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE

Good luck!

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

If you have experience you can miss the a+, network+ would be good. Will be a while until companies upgrade to Windows Server 2008 when its fully released unless they are a microsoft gold partner.

Might be best to list your experience (informal manner), then people can give you a better idea.

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well judging from your post and experience you've stated I think the MCSA and then the MCSE cert 2003 would put you in good sted. Well again, the choice would be entirely up to you. Welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In my opinion, it really does depend on you and the job/skills market in Oz. From what I've read, in Oz, Linux is very popular out there.

There's no real point in going for the MCSA/MCSE if you and/or the job market out there demands the RHCT/RHCE (or other). And beside the MCSA/MCSE aren't short courses.

If you want to be non-vendor specific, then I would recommend going for the Network+ and then the Server+, then take it from there.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings. As you've been a network admin in the past, you should be uniquely placed to be able to recall the various skill sets you needed for the job and then compare them with the skill sets represented by the various vendor-specific and vendor neutral certifications available. I'd say start there and see what your "natural" path lies.

Also, is your name *really* Johnny Storm? :wink:

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. jstorm

jstorm New Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Yes it is probably a tough thing I have asked in some ways as I know it depends on you as a individual plus the actual Job's you are looking at. I have been involved in the computer industry for about 10Yrs, and 5 as a Network Administrator, 2yrs as Self employed and about 3 yrs of doing sales and support with in IT. When I was the Network Administrator I also looked after quite a few projects and this I guess was almost like a semi management role I was doing. I have manged SOE's, relocation of offices (IT&T infrastructure) as well as buy and order in about $600,000.00 worth of IT equipment on a project (example of the size of project's I have done). So I have done many thing that some as Network Admins may not have done.

Microsoft is big here in business just as anywhere else (the government here have a contract with Microsoft for example) so MS is always in demand. Linux is getting more popular, but I think this is more with in the hosted services side of things here (like Web hosting and that). I would like to do a Linux course eventually as I think it would be good to have.

If I was to start on lets just say a MCP first up what would be recommended to do?

Also are the Network+ and the Server+ desirable in the UK?

Cheers....

8. jstorm

jstorm New Member

No it is not! ;)

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

If you're planning on looking to eventually arrive in the UK, then the MCP would get you more calls from the IT recruitment agencies. On the other hand, you can start with the 70-270 and take it from there.

The Comptia certs really hasn't been taken up in the UK like the MCP's, well I have not seen a job listed in the UK that requires the N+ or Server+ from Comptia. However, in the USA it's a prerequisite. That's not to say they're worthless because they're not and you can use the N+ and Server+ as electives towards MCSA and MCSE.

Best wishes on whichever, you decide:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The choice is up to you... certify on whatever you have experience doing. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

... and look to get experience in what you want to do (then get those certifications too).

12. jstorm

jstorm New Member

Well I think that I might be best to look at doing the MCSA course so I guess now is the question of whick test first? And can anyone recommend the best book for that test?

Cheers....

P.S: I was just wondering if there is an update to the 70-270 course that is Vista instead of XP? If there is would any one know if this will make up the 2008 MSCA course when it is released?