looking for job..where to start?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by nicolaem, Apr 3, 2010.

1. nicolaem

nicolaem New Member

hi,

i will explain myself what knowledge and experience i have.

i have A+, network+ and recently MCSA.

i live in Canada - Montreal.
    until 2006 i worked like accountant (I have economic university degree)(hated accounting :)
    in 2006 i changed and started a technician job for a big chain retailer (loved computers). after 3 months i passed comptia A and i became tech lead (was open position - better salary). In this job i did and do a lot of repairs for desktop, laptop etc. and os xp, vista, windows 7 (customer service, technical support by phone etc) until now.

In 2006 i built my esx cluster (hp proliant) with openfiler SAN and 2 cisco 2970 switches, endian firewall (a big lab-spent a lot of money) at home and installed and tested windows and linux. Installed and played a lot with win 2003/2008, terminal services, citrix centos, linux, zimbra, sql server 2008 and exchange cluster, mysql, apache, joomla, backtrack (my favorite) etc etc. Since 2006 I spent at lest 2-3 hours every day practicing on my lab from tutorials (cbt, trainsignal, etc). I think i am very good with vmware vsphere.

I can install and configure easy windows and linux (services, applications etc). I do troubleshooting on my lab and i know what means when you make a mess (happened few times).

Now I am looking for a job...and I read in topics "certificate with no experience" and i agree with you (MCSA do not substitute experience).

Where i have to start? Technical support (i hate the phone), system administrator for a small company etc......I have to go for MCSE?

Thank you for your help (English is foreign language for me!!)

nico

2. Len

Len Byte Poster

You. Are. Screwed.

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  3. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi Nico

Best of luck with your job search.

You are right - MCSA with no experience won't help.

Given your experience, maybe look for another technician job? And studying for the MCDST would also be useful.

Your home lab sounds impressive. The time you spend on that will serve you well and help you progress.

Hope this helps.

Maria

Constructive

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    Certifications: HND Computing
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You've already said that:

So you've got, what, 4 years experience now... So a few things to do when searching for a new job:

1. Search your local and national newspaper job adverts.
    2. Network with fellow IT professionals in your area.
    3. Check out job sites, recruitment agencies, etc...
    4. Check out the BCS counterpart in Canada, CIPS

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security