Looking at MSCE (With NITLC)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by DiGRem, Jul 31, 2004.

1. DiGRem

DiGRem New Member

Hi all, been lurking for a few days around the boards and I have noted how friendly people are so here we go with a question or two ;)

Like most people, I have a background ground in IT (I do have a BA in IT with Media Studies and I did run a small part time business in IT, running a 2k network with exchange2k) and I have now decided to look at getting some certification so I can get into the industry.

A good friend of mine told me about the NITLC with the option that a MCSE would be the best route for me. I have rung them, got the info pack, and a *very* nice man came down and told me everything about the NITLC and how great they are, etc, etc… sold it very well.

After he had told me about the college and the massive commitment that would be needed by myself, he went on to the cost and we started at 3900 for the whole thing (A+ Network+ MCP MCSA MCSE CCNA) but did mention that with my background in IT that I would not have to do the first three modules (PC Intro, Windows Intro and Internet Intro) and that would make the cost about the 3600 mark. He also told me about the Career Development Loan, and the fact that I would need another machine (I only do have one machine ;-( ) and that the CDL would help me get another machine.

He left me with lots of information and I have read most of it and decided to see what type of rep this NITLC place has got.

Now, with that information, some questions.

1. The NITLC look to be a good company to use, what is the support like? (I have major dyslexia, so I would need the support to be there is needed)

2. What policies do they have on refunds?

3. What material do you get ? Real MS press books or books that they make up ?

4. For my other machine, could I use a laptop? or would it have to be a desktop (My main machine is an 2.4HT with XP Pro, 1Gig RAM 2*80Gig HD and I use a ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g Wireless Router.) I would want to use cables, wouldn’t I?

5. Would the course really help? I know only I can answer that question, but I do have 2 years + of experience with a 2k network . Added to the MSCE at the end, will it help or hinder?

6. Also, as I live in Plymouth, would that place me a disadvantage being so far away from the centre it’s self, and the workshops ? (I know I will have to move away to get a better chance at getting a job)

I know that’s lots of question but I do want to make sure that this is the right course for me as it will cost me a lot of money.

Thanks for any feedback

DiGRem

Certifications: A+, N+, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi DiGRem

Firstly welcome - why not drop a post in the New Members Forum ? :D

Here's my (humble) opinions on Nitlc

1. The NITLC look to be a good company to use, what is the support like? (I have major dyslexia, so I would need the support to be there is needed)

I'd say their support is excellent. Prompt, courteous, and gets the question answered.

2. What policies do they have on refunds?

Cant help you there, but I know they are flexible about things.

3. What material do you get ? Real MS press books or books that they make up ?

Was MSPress with me, and I believe it still is. Mike Meyers' book for A+, and Sybex for Network+ and CCNA

4. For my other machine, could I use a laptop? or would it have to be a desktop (My main machine is an 2.4HT with XP Pro, 1Gig RAM 2*80Gig HD and I use a ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g Wireless Router.) I would want to use cables, wouldn’t I?

Laptop would do as a second machine for a lot of the course, although later you me want another desktop. Also, another option may be to get hold of VMware (hope thats the right link). Sounds like your main machine has the beef to run it.

5. Would the course really help? I know only I can answer that question, but I do have 2 years + of experience with a 2k network . Added to the MSCE at the end, will it help or hinder?

Can only help.

6. Also, as I live in Plymouth, would that place me a disadvantage being so far away from the centre it’s self, and the workshops ? (I know I will have to move away to get a better chance at getting a job)

Workshops are not obligatory, although advisable (I never used them, due to distance, work, etc). More importantly, find out how close your nearest VUE or Prometric test centre is for sitting the exams.

Therest of the guys will give you loads more info soon, but hopefully thats helps you for a start.

Good luck, mate :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Same here.My town's pretty dead when it comes to IT, and many other areas of work (primarily retirement and seaside resort).
    So I'd move pretty much anywhere decent, if their was an opportunity to work in IT and good progression prospects.

Where were you thinking of moving to, or where are the hot spots.

A mate of mine from Liverpool went for a job in Oxford, at Sophos software, but just missed out.

I've heard that the central areas between bristol and london, are surrounding areas are flourishing with technologica businesses.

It's the way of the world now.Although I may have a chance of an IT job a mere five mins away from me now (where I currently work in a non-IT role), I'm also realistic that I'll have to move away sooner or later.

Have you thought about where you'd like to work diGRem? just out of interest.

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi DiGRem

Welcome to the board great to see another South West member we can witter on about Spotlight and how good Graig Rich's weather forcasts are :D

I know that Saltash College are running A+ and MCSE and CCNP courses, they are a lot closer to home (that bridge/ferry to Cornwall can be fun) they might be worth a try. I have done one or two "guest apperances" for the staff there.

Cisco and now Microsoft are now looking serously at post 16 training as an certification stream. IM or e-mail me if you would like a contact to talk too.

5. DiGRem

DiGRem New Member

Wow. Thanks for all of the help, and so quick too.

Sandy, looking at saltash college and I am going to ring them on Monday about the MSCE route.

If Saltash say no, I will be taking a serious look at NITLC and a Career Development Loan.

Any more advice would be great.

I will keep everybody updated.

DiGRem

6. DiGRem

DiGRem New Member

Right, looked around and I have signed up with the NITLC for the next 2 years (or so ;-) ) for my MCSE

However, I am at the moment having a major problem with what extra machine should I get.

I will get up a new post and link back to here.

DiGRem

7. sbarks

sbarks New Member

Hi

I am also looking at MCSE at NITLC, but do not know if to go for MCSE (security) Network Security Professional, or MCSE Technical and Systems Engineer, I have A+ already and some other certs so maybe I do not have to do complete course if I opt for technical and systems engineer, but im a bit worried about the CCNA, as a friend of mine who did well at the cisco network academy when I was there, has failed it twice,since he completed the academy, so a little worried on that score, but the rest I am confident with, anyone have thoughts whether peeps with security cert will be more sought after than the tech and sys engineer in the future

steve

8. Andre

Andre Nibble Poster

As for the extra machine you need just check eBay, for little money you can get some celeron, PII or PIII to practice on.
    I study as well with NITLC I've got server set up on PII 400 with some extra RAM and my favorite toy Athlon XP 2500+ with lots of gadgets to practice on.
    That last one I bought in Poland (as I am Polish) for little more than 200 pounds with UK price for same stuff about 600 marks.

good luck

Certifications: A+
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290, Network+