London Computer Fairs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Sep 9, 2008.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I remember seeing advertised in the london lite and metro about computer fairs happening in central london i think if i remember correct there is one in tottenham court road somewhere? anyway i was wondering has anyone seen cisco routers/switches (for studying purposes ofcourse!) for sale there? i thinking maybe saving on some postage costs! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Don't know about the ones in London, but the ones in Northants, suppliers sometimes have Cisco kit. They're not there all the time though. You could always see here, but then again it's the postage :(

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One of the London ones was always housed in the crypt under the 'American Church', just north of Goodge Street. As I haven't worked in that area for a year I don't know if it is still there.

The problem faced by traders at fairs is that they have to transport all their stock there and set it up, and hope not to have to lug it back again at the end of the day. So they tend to 'play safe'. It is fairly rare I found to see Cisco kit there for that reason.

However - it is often an idea to talk to any dealers in second-hand goods to see what they may have in their warehouse.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ah Harry, now don't get me reminiscing about those old Commodore fairs at the Novatel, Hammersmith !

On the Cisco kit, dont know if it's any good or if they're trade only but I used to gte loads of emails from these people for cheap Cisco kit :

http://www.icommerce-eu.com/products_trading/viking.php

May be worth just firing them off an email.

HTH

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

I went to one of those Commodore events at the Novotel! Don't remember much about it though. I was happy to go alone but I was told to bring my cousin with me. He was really inspired by the whole thing and is now an IT high flyer (so my aunt tells me)..

R

WIP: 70-271
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good old computer fair days when you could buy a hard disk for 2gig and think yep! this is it. I use to go to one with a friend then every so often and that was over 5 plus years ago.

I still think you'd get a better deal on the internet if you shop around.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell