Logon script or Group Policy?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by phonics3k, Nov 30, 2006.

1. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

How would I go about getting a network drive patched to the users My Documents folder?

Is it possible to do this with Group Policy or do I have to write a logon script that does this?

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You can do it either way but group policy normally does the job.

Active Directory Users and Computers - double click on the user - profiles tab and there is the setting for the profile location and home directory. Choose a drive letter and enter the share name for the shared folder the user is to use (use the %username% variable). That with drive quotas and folder redirection, you can do some fancy stuff with this.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

folder redirection, where do I find the options to that stuff?

Soz to sound like a n00b, but this is my first time with a windows server, Linux servers on the other hand, I can do them ;)

4. AJ

Folder Redirection is found in the Group Policy Setting. The link is to Microsoft that tells you all about it.

5. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Thanks AJ,

So Far I have my Exchange 2003 Server running and also have my DNS on my domain set up correctly :D

So Far so good, now just need to set up the rest of the group policys and also login/out scripts to clear temp internet/temp files and a couple of other things.

6. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

is it possible to be missing the folder redirection options?

because I have checked Group Policy Editor and it aint there??!

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ah! I know it is there, because i recently setup a XP Pro standalone machine with the *my docs* path pointing to another drive which could not be changed by the users. As soon as I find it, I will post back!

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I remember now (even after beer!).
    I changed the path from the users *My Doc's* (right click the my doc's and change the path) whilst logged in to their account and then used GPEDIT.MSC to *prevent users changing path to my doc's*.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Personally, I like to use both just to make sure that it works.

I have a login script that maps the drives appropriately, but I also have the paths set in the users account.

I do this because I have seen occasions where one or the other doesn't work. 8)

10. AJ

Truth be told, we do it the same way as well. A logon script to do the drive mapping to the home folders and another to map a drive to another shared folder. The home drive mapping is stated in the user profiles just to reinforce the script.

What I have found by doing this is if a user sucessfully logs in, but their roaming profile is unavailable/corrupt they still get all their drive mapped and can still function. I suppose that makes sense if you think about it, but I thought was cool.8)

11. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Thanks for the answers people,

The answer I found and worked was as follows:

On The server, open AD (Users and Computers) and right click on the domain (e.g test.com), click properties and then go to group policys click new and call it something like "Folder Redirection"

Then click edit -> goto user config > folder redirection

:D

12. Steep

Steep New Member

I know just one more another method for folder redirection. It's by using desktop authority - desktop management solution from Scriptlogic.
    In our company we use this tool for a long time. Sometimes in cooperation with gpo, sometimes it can eliminate gpo at all.