Logon Locally

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jackd, Nov 20, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

How can i logon locally in Windows 98. I've got the computer joined to a domain via a wireless network card and ive just realised that the network card doesnt startup until i logon. When i try to logon with a domain account i get "You cannot logon to this workstation until a Server verifies your username". Ive tried putting the computer name in the domain box also local.

Ive also tried booting in safe mode but i couldnt get it to boot becuase F8 didnt work or neither did control.

Any ideas how i could login.

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I thought Win 9x was a local login anyway. Could be wrong though, I always thought 9x was a network aware OS rather than a full blown Network Operating System like NT, W2k and XP.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Seconded.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

It seems to connect to the domain and use roaming profiles fine? :blink

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Win98 doesn't really behave like Win2k etc.

If you put in a wrong password at the domain login it will eventualy pop up the windows login screen, which is the nearest thing to a 'local' logon.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This issue happens with a lot of cheaper wireless NICs on Windows 2000 and XP too. Except with them they will apparently log into the domain but they are in fact using cached credentials. The cheaper equipment on the market does not connect ie the link light does not come on, until after you log in and the user profile is loaded. More expensive wireless NICs allow for authentication using certificates IAS and RADIUS servers, which is how Microsoft recommends you configure things but it's very complex.

Check this out..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/askus/auas0303.mspx?mfr=true

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

of course, with 98 you can just press ESC and bypass logins completely...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP