log wirelessly into domain

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by AJ, Mar 19, 2006.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We are adding some more computers to our school network, but the main problem is, that they are too far away or the cable run is too difficult to get back to the switch. The thought is that we can extend our wireless network and include these users. The will be using normal desktop machines with a Belkin wireless pci card in This One

My problem is this. During testing I found that as a local user I had no problems accessing the wireless network. However, the user that is getting this PC will not be able to log in locally, only into the domain. This can take anything up to 30 mins to login. The PC is running windows XP sp2 with all the patches.

I did contact Belkin and they suggested a couple of things. I'll post them tomorrow when I'm back at work. But in the mean time, any ideas ??????

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My first thought is that as you are so far away your WiFi may be dropping down to 1Mbit - and domains need to ship a lot of data about.

You say 'too far away'. 100BaseT allows 100m of cable, and that distance is well outside normal fast service from WiFi. You may want to investigate the use of a repeater, but, IMHO, this will be making the problem worse in some respects (spectrum pollution).

My view would be to try and deal with the problems of the cableing. In the long run this will be much the most reliable way of getting it to work.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Agreed, if its possible get some Cat5 in, smash down walls if you have to! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

AJ, I think the issue may be that the wireless NIC does not connect until after you have logged in. Clearly you don't have any connectivity until the wireless utility has connected, hence during login, your client can't contact a domain controller. This is a known issue and can be resolved by using wireless adapters that can be configured to connect prior to the login process.

The delay happens because your client is trying to contact a DC but can't, it eventually gives up and uses cached credentials.

I did post a question regarding this, so you might want to do a search *if* this is your issue?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Are you running Roaming profiles on the network AJ? This could be what is taking up the time.

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Thanks for the reply guys.

In my test environment the access point is about 3-4 meters away so distance is not an issue. When it goes on site then the PC will be on the floor above almost directly over the access point, so I think distance is not the issue here.

It seems this could be the problem Pete. Belkin adviced me to change the log on service of WLTRYSVC to use the Administrators account and to add HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run and the string entry bcmwltry="bcmwltry.exe" and the same entry in the run services key. They say that this will allow the wireless connection will be made before the user logs in rather than after. Still doesn't work!!!

[QUOTESimon]Are you running Roaming profiles on the network AJ? This could be what is taking up the time.[/QUOTE]

Yes we are but the account I'm testing it with has no profile except for the local one on the machine. I have tryed it with a pupils account that it using roaming profiles, but it still takes 20mins to log in and this profile is very small.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's a lot more complicated than that AJ, search for the thread. I am a tad busy at the mo :biggrin

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah! I misunderstood your "too far away" comment in your original post!
    Perhaps - but will depend on the building construction.

At home my house is 100 years old or so, and has wooden joists and lath-and-plaster ceilings, and WiFi goes straight through. At work we have a fairly recent steel frame with concrete floor construction, and *no* signal can be received between floors! OTOH such construction usualy includes a riser, so cabling is easy.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster