locked out wireless access point

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by mojorisin, Oct 6, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You sure you've set the IP of your NIC to an address in that subnet range?

For example - if the router default IP is 10.1.1.1, then try assigning your network card 10.1.1.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (no-one's specified the mask but I suspect its the default class C)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Much easier, after a reset on that unit, to log in via the serial port and do the initial config there.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. thesynapseuk

thesynapseuk New Member

I tried what zebulebu recommended, but to no avail. I'm not so up on all the ins and outs of IP shenanigans, but I was able to set them manually and try this out.

Unfortunately I don't have a serial port (I have a Macbook) and where I'm staying, the computer connected to the wired network also doesn't have a serial port! what are the odds?!

Like I said, I've done a reset many times already, and I can't understand why I can't just connect the ap-4131 to my hub that's connected to the computer and access it.

Could I used IPconfig somehow to find out its IP address? I tried using it but it gives a blank response for 'default gateway' - which I presume would be the IP address of the WAP if it was there.

Any ideas?

4. hbroomhall

The standard method of getting a serial connection on current computers is to use a USB/RS232 adaptor.

If you want to connect via TCP/IP and Ethernet, you will need to set the computer to the *same* network that the AP is on, but a different address. i.e. 10.1.1.2 as zeb said. Don't worry about a gateway for now - as you should be on the same network the gateway won't matter.

On a Windows box there is a nice panel to do this. On the Mac I would imagine there is something similar - but not being a Mac person I don't know. I would expect that ifconfig would be there on the Mac though.

Harry.

5. thesynapseuk

thesynapseuk New Member

What should I be seeing/setting if I just made things simple and connected my Windows box directly to the AP-4131? I can at least do that with an ethernet cable. Should I be able to see what IP the AP is?

6. hbroomhall

You need to go into TCP/IP properties for the ethernet port, and select "Use the following IP address".

Then enter 10.1.1.2 in the 'IP address' field. The default subnet mask should be fine. Click OK.

You should now be able to ping the AP and log on.

However - warning - if you want to change the IP address of the AP then you will lose the connection when you do it. This is why using the serial port is recomended.

Harry.

7. thesynapseuk

thesynapseuk New Member

Okay, this is what I've done.

I've connected the AP to my MacBook (don't want to fiddle with settings on other person's PC).
    Opened up Network Utility and assigned manual IP to ethernet port on the laptop of 10.1.1.2.
    Subnet mask has been 255.255.255.0.
    AP is of course on and connect via RJ45 cable.
    Attempted ping to 10.1.1.1 and there is no success.
    Changed subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and there is no change.

Like I said before, I have tried putting a screwdriver between ports 2 and 3, turning the AP on for 15 seconds or so, then pulling out the power, then disconnecting the pins, then turning back on so it should be reset according to the post above.

Have I missed something? Any other ideas? Many thanks for your help by the way, but I might just have to take this thing back to the shop.

8. hbroomhall

Hm - your best bet is to try via the serial port then. It could be that it isn't resetting.

Harry.

9. j1500

j1500 New Member

I'm confused on how to do this reset. Do I just place a screwdriver over pins 2 and three and it will reset.

I just have never made this kind of connection before. What kind of cable do I use?

I can connect via Telnet, however, even when I choose the factory default option it still does not reset to factory defaults.

10. hbroomhall

This depends on the model of your Access point.

Harry.

11. j1500

j1500 New Member

It is the Symbol AP-4131

12. hbroomhall

In which case do as GmanUK says.

Harry.

13. mussashi

mussashi New Member

I have the same problem, I can log on the serial port via HyperTerminal, but it wont reset to factory defaults after shorting pin 2 and 3 and I tried this many times. It keeps the same old IP and old password. Did anyone managed to reset this AP?
    Thank you in advance,
    Radu.

14. Dblaine

Dblaine New Member

This Worked Great for the Spectrum24 AP-3021.:D:D:D