Locked out of BIOS

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Pseudonym, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Hey guys,

I bought a second hand laptop a few weeks ago and it turns out the BIOS is locked. I'm going to try Hirens in the morning but I saw that if you enter an incorrect password you can derive an unlock code from the error code it gives you. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this so, does anybody know.. If I enter the password incorrectly 3 times, is there any chance it will lock down the laptop completely and not allow me to boot into an OS?

Cheers guys

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No the system wont be disabled a reboot will boot the machine again . Use this site http://bios-pw.org/ to decrypt the backdoor password that should be shown after the 3 failed attempts. More info here also: http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Pseudonym

Thanks Simon. I'll give that a crack when I get in later. :)

4. Pseudonym

Only just gotten around to trying this as I need to change a setting.. there's no code after 3 failed attempts. Anyone got any other suggestions?

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Remove the CMOS battery then insert it again.

Job done.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Jumper setting on the system board perhaps?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Pseudonym

Modern laptops don't generally have either, as far as I'm aware. I only ever recall seeing a CMOS battery on a couple of old inspirons(2007 maybe) I stripped down a couple of months back. The CMOS info is generally on a dedicated EEPROM.

8. jasonmat

jasonmat New Member

Use the Hiren's BootCD. It includes tools for removing or cracking the BIOS password. But this works only if the boot priority is set to use CD as the first boot media.

9. Bennygrip

Bennygrip New Member

BootROM better