Locked down domain

Discussion in 'Software' started by timebomb, Jun 10, 2012.

1. timebomb

timebomb New Member

Firstly - hello from a long time lurker!

I'm in the final stages of a HND in Computing at college and have been creating a small domain using Virtual PC for my project. It was all going well until I decided to implement a group policy to lock down common areas of the system. The error I appear to have made though is to lock down the default domain settings rather than applying each GP to appropriate OU's. I figured the administrator account would not be affected but it looks like my understanding wasn't so clear there.

The situation I have now is that my administrator account can't access anything to do with administration settings or snap-ins. I'm guessing I'm pretty stuck much here but I thought I would reach out to you guys here as I have found the forum to be a great source of information so far.

Any ideas? Luckily I'm in a final evaluation stage with my project but I would like to get access back if possible.

Cheers

Allan

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

When you say admin account, do you mean the admin account on the server, or the domain admin account? I didnt think you could ever lock out the domain admin account, regardless of what you did.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you locked down all snap-in's? can you get to a command prompt?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Can you run mmc and add a snap-in, ie Group policy?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

System state restore should sort it mate. Also try renaming the GPO folder and rebooting the server, %systemroot%\System32\GroupPolicy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs