local college

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by robbydog, Jul 20, 2006.

1. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

hi everyone need some advice im gonna get made redundant from my job in 18 months after 23 years in the paper coating industry.
    i have always liked messing with computers and have built 4 over the last 3 years my local college in cornwall are doing compTIA A+ course over 8 months for 20quid and they pay for all the certs as well.
    what i want to know is what to take after that, im looking down the field engineer route.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

An A+ for £20! Take their hands off mate!

The two A+ exams are normally £105 each! After the A+ the usuall progression is onto the Network+, or you could look at the MS Certs. 8)

3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Depends on personal preference, its no good asking us to decide for you.

When you say field engineer, you mean fixing PC's on the road??
    Or do you mean taking networking as a profession??
    If the later, N+ or MCSE is what most opt for.
    MCDST is an option available for you as well, But without any experience its hard to jump into field engineer work first off.
    1st line support would be your best option.

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  4. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

simon..... You been reading my mind??? lol

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Make sure you are aware of all the facts. My local college also offer a 18 week A+ course for £10. what a bargin I thought but after speaking to one of the students on the course, he told me the exam fees are not included and like simon say's its £105 each! on top

It's still a better deal than some of those long distance learning providers. :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

if that was me, i would go for it, even if i had to pay for the exams myself, as its class room based for £10squids, cant be bad!... i probably some the hard earned tenner on something nonnsense like anyway.

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

How long is your college course cheek and did it cost the same?

8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

my 1 is jusy finished last week... (or was it the week before?) anyway, i did not pay for my course as i was on incap benefit when i originally signed up in Jan, the course started in March/April time... lke i said before, i did not pay for the course, and the vouchers are supposed to be free aswell (full exam fee) but im still waiting for them... i tried contacting the buggers (college) and they said they are looking into the matter... the offical cost was meant to be £800!

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I agree with the above - whole heartedly!

Even if anyone is unsure about what they want to pursue in the IT industry, the A+ is accepted as a de facto entry level qualification - the foot on the first rung, if you will.

Then you can develop yourself from there, as hopefully you will have had a taster of studies, and you will see which field of study interests you more.

And as for it being £20 - the exam fees aren't going to be included in that, for sure, but as it will be tutor led, and should undoubtedly have practical training rolled in, I would snap their hands off. If they're not looking, take their arms as well!

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

i work for a company called imerys its a big global mining organisation with a huge IT setup i have asked to work with them 2 days a week until i leave,but im still waiting for a reply
    if i can then it will give me a huge boost cos i dont leave for 18 months,i will have to learn as much as possible

11. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

i phoned them today and they said that they pay for the A+ exam even if they dont its still a bargain

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Well done mate :thumbleft That's excellent news.

It might seem a long road ahead, but you be amazed how fast the time goes - good luck and keep us posted how you get on. :biggrin

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

ah... what?....A+ and £20? go for it 8)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

thought it was to good to be tru
    got a letter from college this morning fees are 60 quid and then u have to pay for cert.
    its over 40 weeks, i got day release from work.
    but is it still worth it. its cheaper than anywhere else.
    also it is hands on and instructor led.
    one other thing would it be to much to go for N+at the same time or maybe halfway through A+

15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Unless you really know the material already I'd say don't try and do both at once.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+