Lmhosts or hosts?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by karan1337, Dec 19, 2010.

1. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Had a bit of confusion while doing Measure Up practice tests. I know that in a workgroup i.e. the same subnet, communication is done through NetBios names. Name resolution is done by lmhosts, while domain name resolution is done by the hosts file.

But if i want to access shares on any other computer on a different subnet, will i require resolution by hosts or by lmhosts (assuming DNS and WINS server are offline/not present)?

Also, when is routing required? when two computers are on a separate network or separate subnets?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes as your computer will still not be able to resolve the name of the PC.

When it is a different subnet - the computer will put the traffic to the default gateway if the IP cannot be found on the same subnet it is on and then the router will route the traffic to the correct subnet or the next hop towards the correct subnet.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

thanks sparky!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science