Living in one country, working in another

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by OnFire, Jul 30, 2010.

1. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

A while back a posted for some advice on job hunting in the US as I was moving from the UK to the USA.

Well I have now indeed moved to the US (Currently in SC) and my employer in the UK has been kind enough to let me continue my employment and work remotely from here. (Read "They couldn't find 3 people good enough to replace me :) )

So for the time being I am still paying UK taxes on my salary and I believe I can continue to do this as "residency" is not estabilished until after 6 months of living somewhere. However as some point I will need to start paying taxes to the IRS.

From the UK point of view, I assume I just fill out the relevant forms to stop the tax man taxing me at the source (Employer) and the I receive my full salary. It's the US side I just wondered about and what steps I need to take to make arrranges to pay tax direct to the IRS.

Anyone had any dealing similiar to this who can perhaps guide me in the right direction. I will be doing my full research on the matter soon however its always good to hear from someone first hand.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Thats an interesting question
    i know when a USC lives in the UK and Works in the UK they are excempt from US taxes until they earn in excess of 85K USD or something, then they pay some US taxes on top of the UK taxes they are paying

actually your residency is established when you get your CR/IR1 stamped at entry, thats why you are allowed to go get a SSN and a DL and all the other residency type things established
    there are certain areas of law that require an established timeframe (such as getting in state student prices vs out of state student prices) which have a time attached

I would go see a tax professional, the problem is the market is very saturated in the US and 90% of them are anything but professional :)
    perhaps a trip to a British consulate would be a better option, you can speak to someone at HMC and find out what your obligations to the UK are by working for a British company

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I would definitely contact the consulate as suggested for some guidance. I would maybe also look for an attorney I would start with searches for an attorney specializing in Tax law or perhaps immigration law.

Seems like there could be some issues if you are working as a salaried employee for your company as they would be subject to Us tax laws and may have to file a W-2 for you. However if you were to be working as a freelancer/contractor that may not be an issue. here's a thread about a similar situation that may be of use to you: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668981

You could maybe call this guys office as they reference him in that thread and ask if he has any recommendations for someone local to you: Peter Newton, ACA
    50-28 245th St, Little Neck, NY 11362 Phone: (646)330-7080

he is an accountant not a lawyer but it seems he specializes in working with ex-pats. You could give it a try just calling on some local accountants but I would verify any info they give you from multiple sources most accountants probably have no idea what they are talking about in this case.

here's a forum you may get some guidance from http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b843986b374f5816945a88f705d30557&board=11.0

I believe your local consulate is actually in Atlanta. You may also have more luck finding an attorney or tax professional that can help you in the atlanta area.

Oh and if you ever visit Atlanta send me a message I can give you some tips on a good place for a pint!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I just got back from Atlanta a couple weeks ago. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I will certainly do some calling around and let you know how I get on.

6. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I had a friend that went for a job in america, he lasted a year. Purely because of their holiday 'system' he was given 12 days leave... he put a request in for 5 days in a row (mon-fri) and the boss called him in and had a go at him as this showed lack of motivation, haha, imagine that in the UK, 12 days hols and you can only take long weekends.

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just out of curiousity what did your job role entailed? There's loads of experienced people looking for IT work so just curious or maybe your employer is very fussy:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

That comment was a slight exaggeration although they did admit it would be difficult to replace me since I have proved myself in terms of work ethics, technical, customer service plus I know the infrastrasture inside out. (Its very complex due to hosting managed services). Not to mention I have an understanding wife so the occasional 60 hour week is not a problem.

We are hiring though but honestly not that many CV's are coming in or the ones we do get are very poor.

Since you asked though here is was my role currently entails:

All things VMware and related (Veeam, VCB, SRM, MPIO, Clusters, Deployments from 2 to 20+ hosts)
    Internal Cisco admin (For our datacenter 1 of 4 admins)
    All things Exchange (Migrations, deployments, OCS, BES, etc)
    Storage (MPIO, FC, iSCSI, Netapp Clustering, Replication, snapshots)
    Hardware (Mainly IBM, Bladecenters, SANs, Servers, Power)
    Infrastructure design work (More and more recently)
    All things Citrix/RDS
    All things AD (A lot of AD work, one of our customers has 20,000 items in their disabled users OU alone!)
    All things MS (Appv, CA, Server, Office, IIS, usual stuff)
    Nth Level support (Resolving issues raised from the 3rd Level support of our customers, they exhaust all available resources then contact us to fix)

It is working out well being here, like Tommy said the benefits in the US are a little different than what I'm used to plus now I can visit the UK and if I nip into the office it not classed as a holiday :biggrin

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated as that's a very challenging and exciting role for any server infrastructure person.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell