Linux Server at home for file sharing

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phil, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Has anybody seen the PC Pro article in the latest issue about setting up your own Linux Server at home for file sharing and broadcasting music round the house, they made it sound so easy :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Post the link, Phil. I'd like to have a look. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Sorry trip, PC Pro is a magazine here in the UK, their site has some of the articles but not that one. I suspect it may turn up on there in due course, perhaps when the next issue is out or due out. The article doesn't go into great detail, just floats ideas for using Red Hat 9.0 in the home for various purposes. It wet my appetite to have a play but I'm afraid it has to join the very long queue of jobs to do :)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Bummer. I thought it might be along the lines of this book: http://www.nerdbooks.com/item.php?id=0130090263 When I "grow up", I want to turn one of my old IBM Pentium 166 machines into a linux router/firewall. Without the GUI, it should just scream along on a legacy machine.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

The article wasn't anything like as detailed as that book looks, I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I'm in Luuuurve with a Linux Firewall/Router called Smoothwall and yes it'll sscream along on a P166. Just boot off a CD and 20 - 30 mins later it's protecting your network. I guess thats why I know jack about Linux, just wandering along with the wizards instead of getting my hands dirty :scrambles

6. brent

brent Nibble Poster

7. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Has Phil gone, could do with the lowdown on this software. Anyone else running it and can give me a breakdown?

:hang

8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Brent, sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, I've been on Holiday, computerless for nearly 2 weeks .... bliss . I'll go take a nosey at the thread and comment there.