Linux router

Discussion in 'Networks' started by warrmr, Oct 5, 2007.

1. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Im asking this question for a mate of mine, as i haev made a few reccomendations mainly smoothwall and open WRT.

basicly he needs a router that supports VPN, IPSec, TCP and UDB timeout changes.

i still dont know why he needs to change the tcp values he said its something about pushing email to his phone.

but smoothwasll only supprorts what he needs in the premium version. he said he will try open wrt is there is no oter option or if they can garentee its as flexible as it looks.

the machine he wants to use as the router is a 1ghz pentium with 256mb ram.

so make some reccomendations, all help is gladly appreciated.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've never used Smoothwall before although I did hear good things about it. I do know that you have to know a thing or two to be able to administer the firewall.

I personally use the WRT firmware on my router. It has tones of features and very stable.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA