Linux Questions

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by craigie, Feb 21, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi all, I'm thinking of setting up a Linux Virtual Machine, to have a tinker around with.

I'm a complete Linux newb, so have not got any idea!

Just started to download Ubuntu to get slightly familar with a Linux environment.

What products are used commerically in an Enterprise environement for things such as File, Print and Web Servers are these Red Hat or something else.

I have read some of the posts here, but would like some guidance.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've seen Solaris, Redhat and CentOs used for web servers. Linux is big in HPC space too.

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

We tend to use Debian for such things, but it isn't an absolute.

Note that Debian is the underlying OS for Ubuntu.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

That would depend on what the linux box is used for. LAMP install (Linux / Apache / MySql / PHP) is pretty commun and offered as an installtion option on a few flavours if I recall. I've never used Ubuntu, but heard it's pretty good to start with. Once you've meddled around with the intallation using the GUI, I'd suggest re-installing it command line only. For example, if you've configured an Apache server using the KDE GUI, try and do the same using the command line only.

But that's my 2 cents, I could be wrong...

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I heard people use kickstart, apt-get, RPM's, and create their own RPM server to automate the fast build/install of web server clusters. Its common to harden webservers and only install the minimum, so not installing X windows and extra daemons is a first step.

Freddy would probably have a good answer, unfortunately Freddy does not seem around these days, probably due to the proliferation of windows fan boys on these forums...

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone, think I will start off with Ubuntu to have a play and once begin to get familar it sounds like I should have a play with Debian.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I... don't believe Windows fanboi-ism is a problem on this site... quite the opposite, actually. :rolleyes:

It's one thing to like Windows, to understand how to maintain Windows, and to respect its market . But for a tech to blindly love Windows to the exclusion of all other OSes? That's another thing entirely, and is how fanbois are born. Fortunately, we don't have any raving Windows fanbois on here who will defend Microsoft at every turn.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The Ubuntu Server Edition is supposed to be quite good, but beware that it has no GUI at all, so you'll have to be proficient in the shell to work with it. Debian was my first love and still is relative to "old school Linux". It is a good distro to use for many server roles.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

I embrace both operating systems Windows and Linux. That's why I learn stuff on both platforms right now I have a old Linux rig ( Pentium 3) running Debian which is my file server ( running Samba)

So you wish to learn Linux? The way I did was to download Debian and tinker!, I didn't use the GUI I just dived into the deep end and broke it :) it's the fastest way to learn.

I taught myself Samba got my first Samba Configuration off the ground within a couple of days reading which I was impressed with considering I came from a Windows background.

Set yourself goals! for me I was introduced to Linux by our ex Sysadmin at my current job I was impressed with the sheer amount of knowledge the guy had on Linux and Unix and my eyes were opened to world which I thought at the time was a only a Windows world.

So as part of the job helping the Sysadmin I was thrown in the deep end with Linux boxes staring at me initial thoughts and reactions were " linux?" Wtf is Linux" how ignorant I was lol

If your looking for the fastest way to get a server off the ground then download the package Webmin for Ubuntu. And invest in the book of Webmin ( awesome book! )

I have found learning about Linux to be more of a challenge then Windows it's hard to explain but I get more enjoyment about learning about Linux and using Linux then I do Windows