Linux - its place in IT?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Angry Dog, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

:biggrin i remember him! I wonder what happened to him.

Certifications: A few.
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I like the way you refuted his points one by one and put forth a solid argument ...

Also the point has already been made by others about the 'myth' of Linux / Open source being free etc.. and MS costing a fortune.

We added SCVMM 2008 R2 to our MS licence agreement a couple of days ago. Pricing from MS is here. Just a touch under $900.

Cost to us on our educational agreement ... £30. We'd better re-plan our IT budget for next year now, it's just been blown out of the water! :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think a crack unit of special black ops Microsoft commandos tazered him and now have him in a maximum security facility because his 'truth' was damaging MS's economic future.

Well that or he's on a linux or open source forum ranting about how evil and terrible MS are instead of just getting on and enjoying the systems / software he uses. He was a nice guy I thought, but his MS paranoia was borderline crazy level.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hear, Hear.

Ultimately it all boils down to keeping the users productive, if a windows or linux environment achieves that for your company, then great, but MS software has a track record of being able to do that (with the odd mishap along the way) and is still the dominant player, and Linux is starting to show signs of cracking with its ever growing kernel.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Look just pay the speeding fines mate, it will be easier. :)

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. JK2447

Ha I burst out laughing when I read that! Parking tickets are more my speciality lately :oops:

Thanks very much for the advice, I want to do something that I don't profit from and helps others, more to life than money. I wish I had more practical skills but for now IT is all I can offer. Thats fair enough about the security checks although I'd be glad to undergo them.

Maybe something for a charity like yourself might be a better bet for me then, I just like the idea of catching bad guys I think (the childhood crimefighter in me :police ha ha).

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How are you gonna "catch bad guys" by cleaning up PCs? :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. JK2447

By helping the police track down people who have pictures of kids etc . . .

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Be careful what you wish for... I know people in the police force I worked for who have had some pretty harrowing experiences doing that.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. JK2447

Actually thinking about it I know I wouldn't have the stomach for that . . . possibly not the role move for me to volunteer for with more thought, thank you.

Zeb while I'm on the subject how did you go about volunteering for your charity?

13. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I remember listening to the security monkey podcasts from it Toolbox and in some of those he makes reference to the cases of kiddy pics he has seen, I believe the term "soul destroying" was used.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They're not gonna let Joe Off The Street (or Jim off the street! :p) do that sort of job in a volunteer capacity.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I dont know. With the current penchant of leaving discs of information on trains, perhaps thats what they are attempting to do.

In seriousness though, thats most likely correct. The people who are required to do any investigative work will be paid employees. Assuming they let you volunteer at all, its most likely you would be doing menial (and I really do mean menial) tasks like moving pcs around. I would wager its unlikely that you would get to tinker with their machines at all.

Computer Forensic Officers need to be trained (possibly to degree level in some cases) not only in Forensic investigation of IT equipment, but also in Chain of Custody procedures, evidence handling, not to mention the myriad of legal articles/laws they would need to be aware of, in order to identify that what they are looking at is indeed a breach of law. And thats before you even start to look at the technical expertise that such a person requires in the field of IT, regarding breaking encryption, identifying (and decoding) data encoded behind images, trace logs, recovering deleted data, etc.

Bottom line, such a position would never be offered to an average joe, who is volunteering their time.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present