Linux - employed for UK Goverment

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Miro, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I'm afraid it didn't read like that for me, and probably for many others. It just looks like a continued attack on bosonmichael. I must say, I've never seen bosonmichael offer anything other than sound advice, I can't imagine that he's ever 'ribbed' ffreeloader for his point of view.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To be fair, I have ribbed him in the past, and despite the fact that I was joking, I got unfairly reprimanded by the forum admins for it.

In any case, I think he does the Linux community a tremendous disservice with his rants, and in particular, with his personal attacks. I like Linux... but there's a right way and a wrong way to promote it (just like there's a right way and a wrong way to promote Christianity).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Can we get this back to topic please. It is started to go beyond a reasonable diversion from the main subject of the thread.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. mattstevenson

Well I was having thoughts about getting a Linux+, but I so rarely see Linux on machines that it'd be fairly pointless to do so. Personally, I can't see that Linux will ever become a big player in the OS world, although it's used where it's needed, and will probably continue to do so. Similar to Macs, you only really see them when they're specifically needed.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

On the Desktop, yes. If you're planning on doing any serious Sys Admin work though you'll need to know some Linux. It might be worth you looking at again at the Linux+ - having some Linux experience and knowledge will often put you ahead of similar candidates when applying for roles.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. mattstevenson

Yeah, but I'm basically at the level of supporting home users and small business. So it'd be similar to me getting an MCSE - irrelevant to the job I do. I'd have no experience, and as such it'd probably be worth squat - right?

7. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Nah I don't think getting a linux cert would not be useless. Knowledge is never lost I say. If you have the time I say get one.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  8. mattstevenson

Double negative? :P

Hm, for me though I think it'd be more relevant to get my MCDST. What's really good about that idea is that it'd be a walk in the park compared to a Linux cert, as I work with MS machines every single day, and have seen all sorts of errors, given all kinds of support.

There is also the issue of money, how much would the Linux+ or RHCE cost?

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen. Linux+ is an entry-level cert - much like the A+ or Network+. It shows to a prospective employer that you are comfortable working in a Linux environment, know how to 'get around' and can perform basic administrative tasks. I'd say its worth looking at if working in Linux interests you.

WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just to throw my 2 cents in the hat, so to speak, the "Linux world" is less certification oriented than the "Windows world". I've worked at companies (and work for one now) that employ a number of software developers who work extensively with open source. The developers at my current company all develop on a Linux platform and even little ol' me works on Ubuntu on a day-to-day basis.

That said, I don't think anyone has Linux certifications, even the IT guys. This doesn't mean they don't know their stuff but it does mean that knowing one's stuff doesn't mean you have to possess a certification. You can learn all the information and practices necessary to support Linux without taking a cert test.

Not to say that Linux certification is without worth, but like Windows (and other) certifications, these days people seem to study for a certification as a means to learn the material, not to establish that they already know it.

Soapbox done. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Gimme a break, it wasn't even 7am when I wrote that... LOL

Linux+ is not expensive, well it wasn't when I got it. Of course RHCE is pricier, but it's not
    entry level either... then again I could be wrong.

That's basically what I had in mind.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  12. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I can see that my tiny question brought a lot of discussion. I would like to say that there are good point in Linux and Windows too. Depends what you you need at a time. And I am against total war of "Linux people" against "Windows people".
    Nowadays those two operating systems are getting mixed. People are using Windows XP with Mozilla Firefox as a browser for example. Both systems has something in offer. There are more issue between MS and Linux but I will leave it for now.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  13. Crito

Crito Banned

I prefer Mandriva as it doesn't include NSA spyware like Red Hat does.

But anyways, there's no way an OS created by self-proclaimed hackers would be allowed to succeed here in the USA. The propaganda machine would have to admit it's been lying to the American people first.

WIP: none