Linux Discussion Forum

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Jakamoko, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey All,

Inspired by Freddy's recent great success, and the subsequent discussion about how many damn fine *nix people we have here on CF, a thought occured to me to capitalise on these assets. Bear in mind this is a seed in my head at the mo (and may stay such if no-one bites), but what about we structure a regular (weekly. fortnightly/ monthly - open to debate) discussion on a given Linux subject, chosen by those who want to know, and pitched to those who do know. This is a scrappy idea right now, but maybe you see where I am coming from here ? One subject per timescale, and an open discussion with all the Guys and their talents we have here, for the good of those who want to learn more, and anyone else who may have an interest.

All thoughts welcome at this stage.

Thanks Guys :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sounds good to me Gav. I honestly have been inspired by Freddy's recent success and I agree with him that it was his Linux skills which gave him the edge. I am not looking for a job as such, because I am self employed. However, it is my belief that sound knowledge of Linux could easily be the deciding factor in potential future contracts. I want to learn Linux, more so than Server 2003. To me it is the way forward. Wow, I never thought I would ever say that :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm in here, and happy to contribute my scraps of knowledge <giggle> :morebeer

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im in!! Infact i would love a thread for newbies to linux.. good books etc..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'll contribute what, and when, I can.... Starting Monday I'm going to be busy for quite a while. I'll also be out of town most during the week as my job is 100 miles away and too far to be a daily round trip. I have no desire to turn 8 hours a day into 12 hours a day with the commute so I'll live out of town 5 days a week and come home on the weekends.

As soon as I can afford a decent laptop I'll be able to contribute during my evenings, which are your very, very early mornings.... Until then my participation will be pretty spotty.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No worries, Freddy. The job comes first. Do what you have to do and come back when you can. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, the job must come first, but we will miss your excellent posts and I am sure your wife will miss you too Freddy!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, I hate to tell you this, but, I hadn't even considered giving CF priority over my job. CF just isn't that big of a priority to me.... :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Why not freddy? Is there anything other than CF?:ohmy

Sounds like a great idea to me Jak. Might inspire me a little more to get into it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks for the positive feedback so far, Guys - I think we're onto something here. I'll start a separate thread specifically for posting what topics our Members would like to see discussed, and I might make this locked to stay on-topic and take requests for topics by PM only, as this idea will work best when maintained in an orderly fashion.

Let's take it from here then :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Room for a latecomer? I'm about to setup a dual-boot system (XP & Linux distro - probably Ubuntu) & would love to take part in this :D

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)