Linksys????

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I was looking at what (if i can remember correctly) was a linksys D-Link Router, and on the box it stated that it was a sub-company of Cisco. firstly, am i thinking of the right product line?

but more importantly, i was wondering how good this router is, and also how similar to the Cisco routers they are, since id like to get into the cisco stuff eventually, and if they are similar it might pay to have this one to play about with, just to get used to the system!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, from an ISP point of view, our users have generally good opinions of Linksys gear.

As for likeness to actual Cisco gear, I'd guess not much, as I cant imagine Joe Public having to deal with config'ing something as sophisticated as Cisco kit :blink

MH2€ :D

EDIT: Just remembered about a semi-serious issue with Linksys D-link kit. If your planning to use their router with your existing ADSL modem (as opposed to an all-in-one box), it will most likely NOT work, as Linksys Tech Support themselves admit that their standalone routers will only work with a Linksys D-link ADSL modem.

HTH's anyone considering this.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ok err
    D-Link and Linksys are seperate companies
    i'm not sure of the confusion here (or perhaps i am confused)

Cisco bought Linksys about a year (maybe more) ago, to help bolster its low end consumer lines, these dont generally have the same configuration or abilities that cisco gear has, so i wouldnt say its a cheap way to learn cisco stuff :)

there have so far been minimal products that have caried the cisco badge, and alot thats still sold is still pure linksys stuff, and to be honest ive had nothing but problems with most of it :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

OK, fair point Phoenix - my bad on the confusion. My above EDIT point stands for D-Link equipment.

:D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Fergal1982

hmmmmm. well we have an adsl router currently set up for our internet needs, but i was kinda looking at getting it to A) allow me to have one in my room to expand the number to pc's we can connect (currently 4), and B) in order to have a router for when i move out of here in a few months!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. Fergal1982

so we think that linksys is a nono, whilst d-link is a yes then? what would you guys recommend getting?

Fergal

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if your looking for switches (you dont need a router to expand network connectivity)

i cannot reccomend the Netgear ones enough!
    (the old school blue metal ones, not the new plastic crap)

they are attainable on Overclockers.co.uk for a competative price (22 quid for a 5 port, a little more for an 8 port)

they are great, myself and collegues have been using them for years, and even deployed them in businesses and schools :)

8. Fergal1982

i need one that will enable me to sustain a network once i move out of here (the router isnt mine!). if i plug a router in, it will still work wont it? or will there be hell to pay for doing so?

Fergal

9. Fergal1982

or...... i could pick up one of these 5 port gigaexpress switches for a song Link just now, then pick up a router later when i move out i spose!

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

yeah pick up the netgear gigabit switch if you can, about 5 quid more than the d-link, but i've never had a problem, in over 5 years with a netgear switch

d-link's however are another story :)

plugging a router in doesnt always cause problems, especially if you can turn off the routing function
    but your best bet is to wait till you have moved, worked out if your getting cable or DSL, and make your purchase then

11. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I would go for the D-link router myself, I've used them at work and never had any problems. Nice and easy to setup and configure through the web interface, pretty straigh forward stuff. I found port forwarding on it unbelievably easy.

Also, I think the little netgear switches are worth getting. Pretty good price, and I never had any problems with them. Put them in, and forget about it pretty much.

Also, with moving the router, shouldn't be a problem, the router just picks up an external IP from the ISP, and you have a 192.168.x.x address internally. Doesn't matter where you are, as long as the internet is enabled on that line.

HTH

ANdy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada