Lg Cookie over ADSL

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Tomsolomon, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Short and the long of it. I want to connect to the Web via usb on my KP500, using my PC's internet connection, so I can download content to the phone without having to pay Orange twice for my internet.
    Any ideas???

Certifications: C&G IT System Support, A+ Certification
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried patching the phone into the PC via USB and try browsing the web that way?

It looks like you might need to get a ADSL router with wireless capability though.

Edit: What router do you have just now?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

What content are you trying to download? apps?
    depending on that answer, if its like apps, .jar files, you can download them to your pc, and transfer and install using a data cable and the appriopate data suite software for your phone

4. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Some of the content I am trying to download, mainly from the LG site, can only be transfered directly to the phone by connecting the phone to the internet. After a recent upgrade to my service, Orange have cottoned on to this, and stopped my internet access through the phone, because they want to charge me a flat rate for what should be free content, for my new phone. Thats why I want to connect via my PC's ADSL connection.
    In my phone settings, connectivity, there is an option for access points. I can add an access point manually, and there are options for PAP and CHAP, but it will only allow for a GPRS bearer. Is there any way to change this?
    Also in the connectivity menu there is an option for USB connection mode, and in there is an option for PC internet, but when I choose this option and try to connect to the Web via the PC, the phone still tries to connect via the carrier.
    I'm new to this phone stuff, so I'm going blind atm. Please help.

5. Sparky

Ive seen it done with some phones and they get an IP address from whatever the DHCP source is. How is the PC connected to the web? Is it a USB router or something else?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Just a thought, would I be able to set up a private gprs server through my PC's WiFi?

7. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Wireless.....

8. Sparky

9. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Hence the post. :P

10. Sparky

LOL, new phone then? :biggrin

Unless you can transfer the files to the phone via USB.

11. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Yea the wonders of modern technology eh.......
    So would the private GPRS server on the PC thing work, and is there a program to set one up?????

12. Sparky

Dont think so mate, does your PC have bluetooth? You might be able to pair the phone with the PC and get a connection that way.

13. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster