Leverage

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jun 17, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So I have found another job which is more or less what I am doing now, the money is better but there is a bit of travelling involved, 16 miles a day to be exact, which isnt a big deal for me.

I dont really want to move from where I am as its more or less on my doorstep but I do want the extra money. When I applied to my current work place there were 2 posts available, and IT tech role and a senior tech role, I know I have already passed my probation even though the last probation meeting is in August. The senior tech role that was advertised is more or less what I am doing now but just not getting paid for it, so I am going to apply for this other role and if I get offered I will try and use it as a bargaining chip.

Would people on CF suggest that this was a good way to go about it? I am thinking if I get the offer, which I am not going to lie, I may not get it, then meeting up with my current boss and saying, I have been offered this role etc, this is what I will get paid, obviously I want to stay here etc.

Is this a good and fair approach?

Cheers for any advice

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just doing my personal statement for this other role, I think I may need to condense it down, I am on three pages already ha h a

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

All I would say mate is... see if you get the other job first or this is all just conjecture and you risk alienating your current employer. Until then I would play it cool. It's just business. It's nothing personal. There's no need to leave on a bad note and if you're fortunate enough to get the new gig, you may not have got it without your time with your current employer.

FYI I've hear stories of people saying they've been offered another job and getting a payrise to stay. I've heard people getting nothing. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. It's hard to say as everywhere is different.

I would apply for the other job but I would keep it private to see how it goes. If you get it come back to us mate, we've got your back :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Wilki0903 likes this.