Lets design a network....

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, so I get a phone call from one of my clients today as they are going to open another office and want to get ‘some IT sorted’ for it. After a brief chat on the phone they basically want users in site B (the new site) to connect to site A (HQ) to access files etc etc. Site A has a DC (also a file server) and an Exchange Server.

My first thought was to install a point to point VPN between the two sites and install a Terminal Server in site A. Users in site B would have fairly low spec PCs and remote desktop onto the Terminal Server keeping traffic on the WAN fairly low.

Had to chuck that idea out the Window! After further investigation it looks like there will be around 10 users that will have laptops and will be at either site A or site B depending on what projects they are working on. Therefore if a user with a laptop logs on at site B they will have to authenticate across the VPN tunnel and all the shared folders will be located at site A. This will be sloooooooow.

To get around this I am going to suggest installing another DC in site B (to speed up authentication) and also configure DFS (distributed file system) to replicate the shares on site A to site B to speed up access to the files.

The problem is that I haven’t configured DFS across multiple sites before, I have on one site (to add fault tolerance) but in this case it’s going to be used purely to improve file access speed.

Has anyone used DFS in this way before?
    Few linkies:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Windows2003-Distributed-File-System.html
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...f865-4200-9ae9-66785e5e87c81033.mspx?mfr=true

Any other suggestions welcome! Can some of the MCSE peeps suggest something I havent heard of before? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think DFS is a good idea Sparky.

here is a thread, originally created on CertTutor.net but now it's migrated to Windows IT Pro. Read the whole thing as there is some good info posted by Will Willis in there.

http://forums.windowsitpro.com/web/...0&threadid=75561&highlight_key=y&keyword1=dfs

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I suppose another possibility would be to use offline files for the laptop users. Use a GP to enforce the use of it, then most of the files would be stored locally on the laptops. You may get the odd large file slowing things down thats new, but you could explain that as limitation of their link and persuade them to get a much faster one. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

We've just completed doing that exact thing. We got BT to install a LES10 circuit between the 2 sites, each end is an RJ45 connector but it goes over BT's exchange. Works quite well, we use it as a resliant link as well and transfer data over the line for backup and mirroring. Works quite well.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Set up frame relay between the 2 sites? So the two sites are directly connected and then have a DC at site A to authenticate both sites or put two DCs up like you said?

6. Sparky

Thats the plan (well point to point VPN over ADSL broadband), just needed a method to configure the shares so that there are no performance issues at either site.

Just heard today that my network proposal has been approved, also site A is being upgraded to Windows 2003 as the hardware running 2000 is falling to bits.

Will update this post after all the installation drama! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ADSL is going to be a problem because of its assymetricness!
    users might be able to open a file but saving it will be a bitch

have you considered the use of WAFS products such as Riverbed?

These devices are placed each end, and optimization is done on all TCP traffic across it, as well as holding a big block level cache of stuff that goes on, allowing you to leave the files at the main site and not worry about copying them, moving them, syncing them, securing them again etc
    you just access the FS at site A and no body notices any performance problems

have a look at www.riverbed.com

there are similar products from packeteer, even cisco! but in my experiance the RB product beats them all hands down

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Sparky

Thanks for the tip :biggrin

Spoke to the MD today and we are going to do a test on our own network before the install. I had a look on the server today and there isnt any shared data so this will be new setup for them.

9. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Look at the email situation carefully.

If you place a DC in the new site it may as well be a GC.

Then you can use the best of your old win2k hardware to run win2k3 and exchange 2k3.

An exchange server at a remote site can hid the "lagginess" associated with a DSL link.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  10. Sparky

Thanks for the tip, waiting for the servers to arrive then its all go! :biggrin

11. Sparky

Update: This network is now live (busy week for me) and all seems well so far. It’s always good to see a network you have designed on Visio go live! 8)

DFS is working well. I have installed Windows Server 2003 R2 and DFS is more advanced than the standard version, it is listed as an additional Windows component in R2 even though the standard version is already installed.

DNS lookups are working ok as well on site B with the new DC (also a GC) so looks like the additional server was worth installing.

Just need to pick up the cheque for the installation now, cha-ching! :biggrin :biggrin

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

How cool is that -nice one mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well Done!

Remember to keep an eye on your DNS and AD for both DC's.

If the the two sites DC's are AD integrated then Replmon - part of the Administrative tools - is your very best friend.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff