Lenovo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Oct 14, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So ive been waiting for this problem to be fixed, it is the inverter on the motherboard, which powers the back light so you can see the screen. Its been a month basically and the problem they were having was access to the bios, for which i provided at least 3 passwords, one of which was the correct one, but for some reason they could not enter this simple password. They have sent it back for me to put the password in so i can reset it which i have done, but i mean surely typing in a simple password can not be this hard.

Now i have to send it back again and let them go through the process of fixing it again, which will be another week at least, grrrrrr

Anyone else has simple issues like this which have taken ages to fix

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

my cousin had a lot of problems with Lenovo in that a simple fix would require a lot of backwards and forwards on the phone or back to the retailer it was purchased from. The issue my cousin had was with the laptop randomly powering off and not coming back on again for quite some time. They eventually dealt with the fault by just issuing a voucher for a new laptop instead of fixing the problem.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. zxspectrum

Yeah i dont like the fact i was left doubting myself with the password side of things. I gave them all the passwords i knew, and to add insult to injury the one i gave them on the first instance was the correct one. Another bad thing is they use Medion in the UK to be the customer care side of them as well, but i would rather talk to the organ grinder etc.

I never mentioned either what they did on week 2. They sent me a letter stating the 'repairs' would cost £244, this is because the fault was on the motherboard and they couldnt access the bios. Imagine if i wasnt computer savvy, id of paid for something that did not need doing. Pity its too late to ask for a full refund, but i think ill sell it on ebay and get something different, its still under warranty etc. Ill look for something that has a UK customer set up, rather than having to send it to germany etc.

Ed

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Its been a few years since I've put soldering iron to motherboard but why do they need bios access if the fault is on the motherboard. They either replace the faulty chip which is a hardware fix or swap it out and not worry about the bios password anyway. :/

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. zxspectrum

That's been my questioning all along. I don't know whats worse the fact that such a little problem has taken so long to get to this stage or the fact when i have given them the password, they have not been able to put it in. The only difference in accessing the bios in windows 8 is that you have to go through UEFI settings, because it boots a lot faster than win 7, this posed a problem to me for about a minute, so then i used Google and had no problem.

Aren't the Germans meant to be very efficient

Ed

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Lenovo is chinese... Medion is german but since you're in the UK I doubt theres many germans looking at your laptop...

I wouldn't buy Lenovo overpriced and quality went down after IBM sold its stuff to them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  7. zxspectrum

Ahhhh well thats something new i have learned. I must admit it was a presumption on my part with them sending the laptop to Germany, to be 'fixed'

Ed

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably another contract for the UK based support so gawd knows who is looking at the laptop. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Don't buy Toshiba then. Their repair centre is in Germany. I know this, as I used to work for them :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+