Legality of carrying copied windows OEM CD's

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eggbert, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

Hello all,

I've always carried around custom and non custom copied windows CD's. I have a big folder full of pretty much every Microsoft OS. They don't come with CD keys, just the bare disks that I use for servicing PC's... I don't make copies of these disks for any one else and only use them when the customer doesn't provide a CD. I always use the customers original CD-key.

Does any one else do this? And is it legal, provided I am only using the for this purpose?.. Or not legal at all?

Cheers.

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: Diablo II
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although I carry the genuine Windows CDs on me, I don't believe there's anything illegal about carrying around a copy of the CD (or the install files on a USB key). The illegality doesn't come into play until you install the OS on a computer with a key that is used outside of Microsoft's licensing terms. Use a customer's key (provided it is legit for that system), and you're good to go. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

we do the same, I have a CD case which is full of copied disks use to reinstall software on site at customers. The new ome Office 2007 don't come with disks any more so we have to have a system builders copy to take to site to use to install. All the customer gets is a small card with the key on it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I carry it all round on a portable hdd in case an office goes down and I have to rebuild everything, which I asked MS when I was on an "introduction to licensing" afternoon a couple of months back. THe long and the short of it is they dont care how the product gets on to your system, as they dont espically care about the media, what they do care about is the media, so if you are only using the customers license key you are in the clear with them.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012