Learnkey

Discussion in 'A+' started by st giles, Sep 21, 2005.

1. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Hi,
    Am still wading through the A+ course and am interested in the Mike meyers Learnkey material after reading such good feedback. Can anyone tell me which is the best resource to get these from?. :)

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't know about the Learnkey stuff, but the Mike Meyers stuff is easilly available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-6661972-2718262

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I take it the Learnkey material you mean for A+ is this
    I am sure the package is very good as I think Mike's books are brilliant. It looks expensive but when you think of how much cheaper it is than going with a provider it doesn't look so bad.
    Sorry, but I can't see anywhere other than Learnkey selling it.
    Let us know what you decide. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

how you finding the course so far giles?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Not bad moominboy,
    Also thanks boyce for the link. i think i might go for that and give it a try. I have just started on the Bios & Cmos chapter.
    The Cpu bus speeds and bit widths and different cache sizes are going to take a bit of sinking in i think :ohmy . How are your studies going mate?

6. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

I did forget to say that i think i will look for the learnkey stuff at a cheaper price if there is anywhere

7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

:hahaha exactly the same problem with cpu details! just finished the chapter on ram tho and that was a bit :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Certifications: ECDL
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Stick with it boys! I know the bus speeds, pin numbers and processor speeds seem like a baffle but after a while they sink in.
    Get yourself some postcards from Tesco (about £1 for 80) and make yourself some "flash" cards. After a while of reading and reading they will stick in.
    One thing to bear in mind is that you might get one or two questions on the subject. If you can get 85-90% after constant testing when you are happy you know the course content then a few wrong questions won't matter. :D
    Stick with it. As Del boy used to say to Rodney "you know it makes sense" :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

St Giles - you might want to drop a PM to Sarah (although I've not seen her around as much lately). I'm sure she may be able to offer you some information about alternative places to purchase Learnkey products.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. zero

zero Bit Poster

Hi,I finished the Hardware section in the A+ Learnkey video training and i think they are great,However the questions they provide is not that hard, I mean you need to practice more from another source.

As for from where you can get them, I think that it is only thru www.learnkey.com

Good Luck. :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
  11. perrymsb

perrymsb New Member

i would just like to say that i am a myers book owner and i think it is superb. im picking things up very fast.
    who has the learnkey videos? are they any good and how much do they cost?
    any chance of a copy?

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi perrymsb. If you get a moment swing by the new members forum and let us welcome you properly.

As far as the vids go, we don't condone anyone asking for 'copies' of any sorts of training materials at all. I'm afraid if you want them you'll have to pay for them like the rest of us.

As for the quality, well you can't fit the same amout of information into them as a book. They are good for a general overview and do tend to go in a little deeper in some areas but not all. Also, you can't take them with you on the train, bus or in the doctors waiting room.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

http://www.cvision.co.uk/index.htm

I found this site when thinking about buying the Learn Key A+ CDs. After listening to the opinions of other people that had bought them I decided against them. I bought the Mike Meyer's "All in One" and his Lab Manuals, one for hardware, one for software and they are working out fine. Having checked out a link provided by Jakamoko yesterday I am pretty much sold on the idea of buying the Exam Cram book to broaden the coverage of the A+ topics.

From what you have said it seems like I am only a few chapters ahead of you as I am about to delve into the wild and wacky world of floppy drivers. [ :blink oh boy] How quickly are you progressing through the book? And I must agree, I am not looking forward to having to try to remember all those details about the different CPUs. :eek:

Certifications: None :(
  14. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Hello there,
    I too have the mike meyers lab books and will stick with them. Am going to get through the book first and then do my labs. If you think the cpu stuff is brain taxing just wait , if you're not on it already , try the hard drive chapters, ummm :ohmy
    Still , i guess we will get there, lol.

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

time for me to jump in!!! im using the training videos (was sent to me from the uk so i didnt buy them thankfully - steep price!) and also meyers all in one and sybex a+ complete... got to admit that the CPUs are a little hard to learn but what i did was make cards:

Processor Name
    Slot/Socket type
    Internal speed
    External speed
    Mutiplier
    L1 cache
    L2 cache
    L3 cache

i intend in doing the same for RAM and the dreaded SCSI table - (which is a killer to learn!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  16. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Yes i think i'm going to create some flash cards for cpu's and ram after i've delved through the book and i will look forward to the scsi chapter :cry: . God, what i'm not going to do after i get through the book, maybe go fishing :cheers

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nah...you'll start studying for the Network+. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Yeah, thats my intention, maybe i can do that down the beach, hehe :hhhmmm

19. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

St Giles: Yeah, I am going to complete the "All in One" and then try the Lab Manuals as well. Am currently near the end of the hard drives technologies chapter [#10] and have found it OK. [the CPU stats still fill me with dread though! *gulp*] I assume we need to know some of the stats about DMA/UDMA modes but is there any point learning the PIO modes table? :blink

Certifications: None :(