Learning c#

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Danmurph, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

In the near future it is going to be beneficial for me to learn c#. I have been advised by the current programmer here where I work to jump straight into c# and learn from the beginning (there is no pressure for me to do so but he said it will help me). I have no previous experience of programming really and was wondering if anyone could reccommend a good way to get started, a good reliable book or maybe some good resources with lots of practice code and tutorials

Thanks

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

For a beginner with no programming background, I think I would recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-C-Andrew-Stellman/dp/0596514824/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268801348&sr=8-5

I've used their design patterns book in the past and found it to be straightforward and easier to understand than the "gang of four" design pattern book. I'm assuming the quality will be the same in the C# book. Some level of programming knowledge, in my opinion, is good for everyone. Do you intend on becoming a developer? Even if you don't; it would still help you write cleaner and more maintainable scripts and leverage something like PowerShell. This is all just my opinion, of course.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  3. Rearl

Rearl Bit Poster

Certifications: A+601 602
    WIP: network+