LearnDirect ECDL, anyone done it, rate it?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Tahrey, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Tahrey

Tahrey Bit Poster

Just restarted on this after some time away, going to plug through it as I have paid some money, but also because it's the best chance I'm going to get to do it cheaply (whilst briefly unemployed) and without going in to a college 2 evenings a week, and I want that qualification to be able to put on my CV - alongside an A+, to at least show I'm conversant in the primary core of everyday IT use and office applicaions, as well as PC hardware & operating software.

However I am concerned about a good number of things I've come across in just the first two modules so far, in the teaching method, the quality/accuracy/currency & relevance of the teaching materials, and in the accuracy of the self assessments (and I'll see if i have any reservations about the actual in-centre exams when I take 'em). I will probably be trying to forget a lot of things I've "learnt" in the last few days once I've finished the course, and given this I'm worried that I might not fare very well with the official exams, should they come directly from BCS or the ECDL commission rather than learndirect themselves (assuming that the course material LD are presenting hasn't come from these sources, and that the entire ECDL isn't completely messed up).

Anyone here done this previously, got through it, passed the exams OK? What are your opinions? Anyone who was an actual novice before coming to it and got misled?
    (certainly, with the errors i'm spotting in things that i've been proficient with for the best part of 10 years, i'm worried about the possibility that i'll be led up the garden path when studying areas I'm NOT already good with)

Cheers
    -Tah

Certifications: GCSE in IT... and that's it
    WIP: ECDL / Whatever finally seems right
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't know the Learndirect stuff.

I did ECDL by just reading a book and doing the excercises. My exam centred around Office 2000 - you can elect to do different versions of Office, and in the last module whether you do Outlook or Outlook Express.

The book I used contained very few errors as far as I could see and was quite relevant. It also matched the exam very well.

So if you see things that are wrong in your material it sounds like a Learndirect error.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+