LCD TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Jan 22, 2007.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hey dudes,

Does anyone have any recommendations for LCD TV's?

I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my CRT tv for a shiny new 32/37" LCD. Has anyone ever used www.pixmania.co.uk and can comment on their service?

I was all set to buy a 32" samsung but have since read several negative reviews relating to sound and picture. The speakers facing the rear is never a great idea!

I regularly connect my PC to watch movies and I have read various models can struggle with resolution?

Any experience/advice most welcome.

2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Take a look around here http://www.avforums.com

It think you will find all you need to know from the threads on this forum.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I've used Pixmania a couple of times, service and pricing are pretty good in my experience. As for Samsung, I can't comment on the model you're talking about, but I think their stuff is the best out there at the moment (for the home buyer anyway).

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Hi MrNice, i got the samsung LE-32R74BD which iam really happy with, the picture quality is perfect from what i have seen(baring in mind that its an LCD) and as for the speakers and sound i couldn't really comment on as i got it jacked into my 5.1 and dont use the onboard ones. i read a review on the same one as what i have got and they said that when you plug you pc into it you wont get any HD Support but there is a pc mode that is suppose to be more responsive than some current LCD PC Monitors.

Hope this helps you some

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Been looking at LCD TV's myself recently and have decided to hang fire for now. Read so many reviews and looked at so many sets in shops my head really started to spin! Then theres the whole plasma vs LCD debate as well.... I'm trying to future proof myself as much as possible so was looking at 1080p sets (saw a gorgeous Samsung) but 2180p panels are starting to surface. I've just said sod it for now and I'm going to wait and see whats out there when I get my bonus in March!!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  6. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hmmm, i find that some large screens do struggle with high resolution(especially whilst playing games).

Personally i think you will find that LG make the majority of LCD's and sell them to various companies to plaster there own logo upon.

Reviews is always a good thing..... Or, phone overclockers.co.uk i always find them useful with there knowledge.

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure about LG but I do know there are only something like three LCD panel manufacturers worldwide. One is Samsung and another is Panasonic's parent group. LG I can believe because they make really good LCD TVs.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And if you are going for a decent picture make sure you also go for home theatre type sound Dolby 5.1 or whatever is the current flavour of the day. Got my Bose system 5 years ago and I wouldn't be without it. It is like bread and butter good sound and a good picture is where it's at.

The speakers built into LCD screens are pathetic IMHO.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  11. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Glad to hear it MrNice and i commend you on your choice :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)