Last Wireless QOTD for the week

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by tripwire45, Apr 2, 2004.

?

When an Access Point (AP) sends a beacon, the beacon contains a variety of information. Of the opti

1. B. Traffic Indication Map (TIM)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A. Time Indication Map (TIM)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C. Active Indication Map (AIM)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D. Queue Indication Map (QIM)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Answer later.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :!:
    :iagree

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok. Time's up. The weekend is upon us...well, you rather...It's still mid-afternoon Friday here. Anyway, the correct answer is B. Traffic Indication Map. I made up the other options.

Each AP sends out beacons periodically containing such information as the SSID (network name), Time Synchronization, Parameter Sets, TIM, and supported data rates. When receiving stations are asleep, the AP will queue messages addressed to those stations and transmit a beacon containing the TIM data for those stations. Sleeping stations periodically power up their receivers and listen for any TIMs that might be addressed to them. If there are none, they power down their radios and keep sleeping. If they recognize their MAC address in a TIM, they will wake up and receive the message.

Flex, I admire you. You're the only one who tried to answer the question. Point for you today. I'll knock it off for the weekend and fire up the QOTD machine on Monday for another go.

Certifications: A+ and Network+