last time I buy online!! especially those use CityLink for delivery!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Nov 26, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So on friday morning I woke up at 8am (considering I didnt start work until 10.30am!!)

I went online onto ebuyer and purchased the following:

Asus laptop £499
    Samsung Pebble 22" LCD £213
    Saitek Eclipse keyboard £20
    MP3 player £13
    Razer blue DiamondBack mouse £30

I put these on for a saturday delivery to be delivered at me house. at the same time I bought another set of Creative 5.1 speakers for my gaming PC from Amazon also for a saturday delivery.

anyway on saturday I was up at 10am. 30min later Citylink are at my door. So I go and open only to find the guy had two boxes (I was expecting at least 3) I signed for the two already there then asked about the rest. He said that was all he had. I thought to myself well maybe cos its a saturday he wanted to get home early back to bed and didnt want to deliver the rest of me goods.

I rang ebuyer and told them and they confirmed the goods were in the van. anyway by 12pm it was too late as Citylink were closed (the local depot of course) so I had to wait til monday. the only thing that arrived that day were my speakers from amazon, my mouse, keyboard and MP3 player from ebuyer. So my laptop and monitor were missing!

Anyway this morning, I rang citylink again. Asking them what was going on. they told me the laptop and monitor were in a different van on the saturday which is why the guy didnt have them with him at the time. Typical, I thought! So I said well I will see if any of my neighbours will take the delivery. I tried each door and no one was in (we all live in the same building but each in different flats and there is 6 flats altogether). So I left a note on the door. 4.40pm and I decide to ring citylink again. I got told a card was left and thats when I lost it...they were telling me that they needed ebuyers permission to leave the parcels with a neighbour when I was told this morning by Citylink that cos they had my permission it would be ok!! :mad I was losing it badly at this point!

so i rang ebuyer and ranted at them knowing they wouldnt give permission aswell...and their reason? cos I made the purchase thru google checkout (maybe I should have a go at them too!!). Anyway, they finally agreed to re-deliver before 9am tomorrow morning. So I had to swap my 8am shift with a colleague and I wont start work until 10.30am.

so there u have it...it will be the last time I buy anything online from people who use citylink for delivery...especially since this isnt the first time I have been pi$$ed off by them...the last time I waited nearly 2 weeks for an item to arrive!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I must admit I have been equally as pissed with couriers, seriously they are the one thing undermining mass take up of online purchasing

i mean seriously, I ordered something from Crucial last week, 2 - 3 day royal mail delivery, they delivered it early but of course no one was home as I had planned to be home in '2 - 3 days' not 'tomorrow'
    nice, had i been there!

Why in a country this small can I not get, and expect to get, a product the very next day after ordering, as long as I order it pre 4pm this should happen for minimal cost

I wont stop ordering online, its something I deal with for the semi convenience but I do make a fair bit of noise about it, got a half price 20" LCD and free delivery from dell for a **** up they made

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am getting ram from crucial, hopefully it'll come when I am in.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I always try and get Royal mail to deliver my stuff, they are great, city link have got a bad rep around here. Last year i worked part tiome at a phone shop and we nearly lost loads of custom because of thier service

Edf

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I guess u may have changed my mind Phoenix...and ZX I am just like u I prefer Royal Mail to deliver the goods...at least u have the option of pick if u live nearby the post office...but my nearest citylink depot is a long way and I dont drive...only cycle...but lets see how it goes again...

6. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

heh, don't feel bad here in the states most things are ups and fedex. most of the time either of those will just leave the stuff on your door step and pretend someone signed for it because most things require signature, but i guess when your the whipping boy and you have to be on time you do what you have to? bastards :)

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Oh dont even get me started on UPS...all I will say is Apple and iPods...enough said...

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree Citylink is the biggest crock of *&)$%)$% ever.
    I ordered a DSLR cleaning kit - about £40 worth. With the Royal Mail strike the company sent it by CityLink who they use as their courier - I paid extra (£7 instead of £3) to get next day delivery - I stayed in Friday to collect my package, did it arrive, did it feck :-(

Phoned up, yes its on the van, no I can't get through to the driver, yes it will be delivered before 6, when do I go home and the office shut 5, am I working for a completely useless company .....well, the last bit was wishful thinking!

Suffice to say, it didn't arrive, phoned up the depot, yeah its here, it never got put on the van - well, when you going to deliver it - Monday! FFS!!
    I drove at 8.30am Saturday 40 miles to pick up the package, and then drove 40 miles back - 80 god damn miles because a useless company couldn't count how many packages it had and when they needed to be delivered. I didn't bother using that company again, and couldn't be bothered to claim back the postage - just accepted it as a bad experience.

But Citylink - never again! :argue:mad:cussing:mad

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. greenbrucelee

I have never had a problem with UPS, but only used them twice.

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Used UPS and Fedex (package from the US) - they mixed up the import duty - 5 seconds on the phone, sorted nothing to pay..... very impressed :thumbleft

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just a quick tip that's nothing to do with ebuyer or citylink. If you are going to order something as high value as you did Noel, then make sure you use a credit card. I don't know if you can use a CC as a funding option on google checkout (I presume so). If you can, then do so.

If your order had been mysteriously lost for any reason then you probably would have got your goods or money back eventually, but it would be a hell of a lot easier getting the money back if paid for on a CC.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. greenbrucelee

good advice there :D

13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Which is exactly why I always try to get my stuff delivered to work. Its less hassle for me to get a taxi to shunt my stuff home (if i cant get a lift) than to try and arrange to be in when its possibly going to be delivered.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah I usually get things delivered to my work address also. There is virtually always someone available to sign for it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Another bad review for citylink from me. We use them at work, we've had kit waiting at a depot for 16 days before, apparently awaiting the local depot to send a GDI, whatever that means.

I phoned the main switchboard, explained the situation, the guy asks me if he should send a GDI to the depot ? I say i don't even know what a GDI is, you're the ones that run the company why are you asking me what to do ?

Unreal

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  16. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

City Link = Pay peanuts, get monkeys :tongue

You can never get through on the phone.:mad

I wait for the next day, get the consignment id from my supplier (you should get a card if your are not in but they never leave one!) phone the depot automated service around 8pm as it's the only time you can get through! and arrange to collect from depot myself.

Self Service :eek:

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  17. jamman32

jamman32 Nibble Poster

Worked for most of the the big couriers... They are all the same. chaos rules.

I must say royal mail are the better option. At least you know were to find them when things do go wrong.

Certifications: city & guilds engineering
    WIP: comptia a+ n+/ linux+
  18. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

This happen to me a few weeks back when I placed an order with advancedmp3players.co.uk for the Cowan D2 4gb, since the order was above £100 or something it had to go through City link, order was placed on Thurs morning and was suppose to get next day delivery. And on Friday, it never came in.
    According to the tracking system, the driver didnt have enough time. And then later got a call and they said it was lost then found, probably underneath the drivers seat :D this was delayed all the way till next week Thursday :biggrin
    But I managed to get a postal refund from advancedmp3players.co.uk for the **** up city link did. It wont stop me from buying online since the discount was good, even with the free postage afterwards. I just wished we had a option to choose which postal service we wanted from the start :(

agree with jamman32, royalmail are a better option, if I had the option in the first place.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

it would be so much better if we could choose who to deliver our goods...Royal Mail are indeed better...at least they leave a card and u have postal depots nearer where u live than these sodding delivery companies like CityLink...who dont leave a card and their depots are like miles away from u!!

20. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The best one I had off City Link was when they told me they tried to deliver but nobody was home in which I explained it was my brothers shop it was being delivered to which is open 6am till 9pm. I have had a lot of problems with City Link as their drivers in my area are clueless and lie saying they card places when they don't.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011