Laptops CPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, May 27, 2007.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi guys, long time since I've been on here (Got made redundant long story), now onto my question. We are getting a new laptop throught the insurance and am stuck on which to get.

1) Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 1.7Ghz Vs. AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-56 1.8Ghz which is best?

2) http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_Pavilion_dv6331eu_GH783EA-ABU/version.asp Vs http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_Pavilion_dv6358ea_GH885EA-ABU/version-1.asp

The one thing that attracts me to the Turion is that it has 2GB RAM over the 1GB RAM in the Core Duo 2 model. On the flip side the Core Duo model has a NVidia 7400 compare to the Turion's 7200.

Any suggestions happily received :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I personally would get the C2D, coz its simple to upgrade that to match the 2gb RAM, then theres no competition is there?:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. michael78

Cheers for the reply Raffaz, I was swaying towards the Core Duo 2 as I had heard the the Turion's aren't that good but didn't know if that was justified or not. Are the Turion's more closly comparable to the Core Duo and not Core Duo 2?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The C2D will wipe the floor with the AMD chip, so the choice is a no brainer unless the AMD laptop has a much better gfx card integrated.

Should be quite cheap to stick an extra gig of ram into the C2D laptop so get that.

I'm not saying this as an Intel fanboy or anything. My main desktop home system is an AMD X2 as I felt that gave me the best bang for my buck with the other hardware I had. Would have cost me more to go intel.

My laptop is a C2d though and it's great. The C2D beats the X2 in every variant at the moment (mobile or desktop). The forthcoming Amd quad core's sound like they will regain plenty of ground though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

One more for the C2D, rocket fast so I here.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  6. michael78

cheers guys, you helped to make up my mind I'm going to get the Core Duo 2 laptop. I always used to buy AMD but switched to Intel for my desktop and never kept up with what AMD were at so the info helps cheers...:D

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup Intel is way ahead at the moment, i am going to be getting myself a new Core 2 Duo system in the very near future.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Let us know what you get mate :D

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I always find the website www.tomshardware.com very good for such questions !

Desktop and Laptop processor designs are very different so they should not be directly compared !

Intel CPUs are generally better for laptops due to lower power consumption and less heat generated. Currently they also outperform AMD's offering.

Desktop CPU's are often a big cruder, larger, more pins, with vast heatsinks and fans, alot of the time AMD provides more bang for buck in this area as the extra power required and heat generated is less of an issue and the clock frequency can often therefore be significantly higher.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The C2D will smoke anything that's out there. I love mine.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

In laptops I would choose Intel everytime, not just for performance but reliability.

Certifications: A+ C Programming
    WIP: Network+