Laptop wont boot from dvd/cd or hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b2051758, Jan 29, 2013.

1. b2051758

b2051758 Bit Poster

Hi,

I've got an Acer core i3 laptop which when turned on (running off power adapter, no battery), will go into BIOS fine. I can change the configuration and look through it fine, however when I set it to boot from a cd in DVD drive and restart, nothing happens. The message press f2 for settings comes up and when I expect it to boot the DVD the screen just goes blank. The cd is not even read, same thing happens when using external DVD drive and same with USB pen.

Any ideas? I've got new ram so can't be that, could this be a motherboard or cpu issue? Would it still go into bios with a faulty cpu?
    Would like to narrow down the issue before buying a new part if possible.

Any suggestions, or similar experience would be a great help.

Thanks

Tom.

2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Can try a power drain,

Disconnect from the external power.

Hold on to the power button for 30 sec.

Try connect to external power source(AC adapter) without battery

hmm .. Its just a try to drain the static charge from RAM slots ..which can potential cause a blank display.

Regards

Rob :unsure

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

It's not going to be a motherboard, ram or cpu issue. If it were CPU or RAM it probably wouldn't boot or POST.

One would think that if you can't boot off the CD, either the CD is fecked or the CD-drive is.

Your motherboard would have to support booting off the USB / USB CD-ROM for that function of booting from USB would work.

Where did you get the CD would probably be my first question

4. b2051758

b2051758 Bit Poster

Done the power drain, its not a blank screen issue anyway, more of a stalling issue when trying to boot. The CD I've tried is an original XP CD, which is fine since I've tested it on another system. The system does support booting from USB and USB CD since I've done the same on an exact same model. Are all post checks performed before booting from any type of media? I just doesn't make sense, seems like it must be a motherboard or Cpu issue.