laptop screen problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dude182, Apr 22, 2008.

1. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

Hi there, can anyone help?

My laptop screen is being very tempremental with when it decides to turn on, when you switch it on the mains power is on to laptop but the screen remains blank. This is an intermittent problem that will happen one day and not the next but has become more regular. Any help appreciated.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the laptop still under warranty?

Also when the screen is playing up try attaching an external monitor. That will tell you if the graphics card is playing up. Looks like a new screen is needed at this stage. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

With laptops the problem you describe is usually the screen inverter. Quite a common issue on laptops, they are about £30-£40 depending on the manufacturer. Unless of course your in warranty, then its £FREE!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Any chance of giving us some details such as make and model?
    Also does the light on the hard drive flash? Can you hear the drive being read??
    Oh and Hello and Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

The laptop make is an acer aspire 1640, about 2 years old i reckon. Not under warranty anymore unfortunately! The hard drive light flashes and runs, you can hear the fan run as well on start up. Had a look at the cable from motherboard to monitor which looks ok no sign of wear...

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yups. Pound to a penny its the inverter. Try reseating all the cables, if it makes no difference, plug a VGA cable into an external monitor as Sparky suggested. If its all OK, then it points to a screen problem, which is usually the inverter board dying. I have no idea why this should be, but it seems that the inverter is the first thing to go on many laptops - probably shabby PCBs.

You can get a new inverter for that make/model here

HTH

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

Nice one thanks for your help will try that.

8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

My Acer laptop screen has gone completly, pluged in an external monitor and it worked fine, where would be the best place to find an inverter? cos the monitor im using is one day older than grass!! lol and its taking up much needed space!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  9. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I forgot to mention my Laptop is an Acer Travelmate 2201LMi, cant seem to find an inverter for this model, can anyone help?

10. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Acer UK owns a company called Esplex that supply all their parts for EMEA repair centres. You can buy parts from them direct. Can't remember the phone number, go here and fill in the email thingy and ask them for the contact details.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  11. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the help...