Laptop Issue - Boot problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Colloghi, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ok, ive just recently been given a laptop by my mum (awww bless), shes had loads of problems with it since buying it from fleabay, it was overheating, shutting down itself, crashing etc etc.

Then suddenly she loaded a dvd disc into the system, saved something and it crashed. It would not boot back up at all, hd and power light were, but it would not boot into bios. It was if someone was continuously reseting the machine, just before it had chance to load bios.

I had a look at it, cleaned the fan out completely, which has solved the overheating problem, but i was still having the booting up process. Took the memory out, no beeps, exact same problem, put one ram stick back in, and wow low and behold it worked:blink

Put second ram stick back, no boot. Now ive tested both ram sticks and they are fine, use one ram stick and its fine, use two, dosnt work:cry:

Could this be a problem with the motherboard somewhere perhaps a failed dimm socket? as it seems to be on the second dimm socket, but more importantly is there something that can be donw without replacing the motherboard.

The laptop is a advent 7036, pentinum 4, the ram sticks are 256mb each.

Im a bit baffled, to say the least

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i had the same prob will a laptop a few years ago. both memory were working and then it suddenly stopped picking up dimm2 although both modules tested fine. unfortunately that's the prob with laptops, when things go wrong there's not that much you can change.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, what grim said. Is there any diag tools you can download for the laptop?

Perhaps go for one 512MB stick? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

only thing you can do is strip it down, clean it up and reset everything back to default but because there's so much built onto the mobo chances are it's that and they aint easy to get hold of and replace.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

If the laptop was overheating it may have caused the second dimm socket to fail - as you know, heat can do some weird and (not so) wonderful things to computers.

Have you checked the mobo's manufacturer's web site and the forums attached to that? Might be someone has a similar problem or even a fix - always a good place to look when dealing with mobo issues I find.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???